Sen. Donnelly makes statement on latest North Korean missile test

donnellymediaevent1

Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-Ind., speaks at a press conference Aug. 26 outside of Uptown Cafe. Donnelly recently announced his intent to run for a second term.  Emily Eckelbarger Buy Photos

Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-Indiana, released a statement Sunday morning after reports of North Korea's most recent nuclear test. 

He said North Korea's tests were provocative and posed a threat to the U.S. and the entire global community. He said he will be pressing China's involvement with the North Korean threat this week with the Senate Banking Committee. 

The committee will examine enforcing sanctions on North Korea and China, a topic Donnelly discussed when he came to Bloomington in August. 

"It is also long past time for China to step up to seriously and credibly confront the North Korean threat, a topic I will be pressing this week as the Senate Banking Committee examines sanctions enforcement on both North Korea and China," Donnelly said in the release.

Donnelly and Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Nebraska, encouraged the Banking Committee during a May subcommittee hearing to push the administration on its options to expand sanctions and crack down on North Korea and those who assist in their illegal activity, according to the release. 

Katelyn Haas

More