IU field hockey set for New Jersey road trip

iufhmaryland6web.jpg

Coming off a win last Sunday against Ball State, IU hits the road for two important games.  

IU will face Big Ten Conference opponent Rutgers on Friday afternoon and Monmouth on Sunday.  

Both Rutgers and Monmouth rank just behind the No. 28 Hoosiers, with Rutgers at No. 29 and Monmouth at No. 31, according to NCAA Field Hockey RPI. 

This could be a pivotal weekend for the IU team as it aspires to break into the top 25 if it wins a couple of big games on the road. 

"I think we have a chance to put ourselves on the map after this weekend and break through and be one of those top-25 teams," senior goalkeeper Katie Johnson said. 

Sophomore forward Sam Scire talked about the upcoming weekend for IU, which will be a small homecoming for several members of the IU team because both Scire and Johnson are from New Jersey. 

“I’m very excited," Scire said. "For my club team I played on Monmouth’s field. We have all been very focused this week. We are very determined to win both games."

Coming off a tough game last weekend against No. 9 Maryland, as well as playing ranked opponents such as then-No. 9 Louisville and No. 3 Delaware, the team feels it can win both games if it plays its cards correctly.

While she said she is excited to return to home, Johnson also recognizes the differences in the style of field hockey played on the East Coast versus in the Midwest.  

“I think the most exciting thing is my teammates to see the hockey I grew up with and where I learned the game from," Johnson said. "Out here in the Midwest, the game is much different than the fast-paced play where I come from."

Friday’s game at Rutgers can be seen on Big Ten Plus at 3 p.m., while Sunday’s game against Monmouth can be viewed on ESPN3 at noon.