Former IU running back Camion Patrick arrested for criminal homicide

mughorizontal.jpg

Former IU football player Camion Patrick was arrested in Bloomington on Wednesday morning by IUPD in connection to a murder in Tennessee. 

Vertical Mug
Former IU football player Camion Patrick was arrested in Bloomington on Wednesday morning by IUPD in connection to a murder in Tennessee. Patrick is facing charges for the murder of 18-year-old Caleb Thomas Radford.

The murder Patrick is facing charges for occurred on July 25, in Alcoa, Tennessee. Eighteen-year-old Caleb Thomas Radford was stabbed to death in the incident. 

According to a probable cause affidavit obtained by the Indiana Daily Student from the General Sessions Court of Blount County, Tennessee, the warrant for Patrick's arrest for felony criminal homicide was issued Sept. 12. by the Blount County Sheriff's Department.

affidavit1
Page one of the probable cause affidavit for Camion Patrick's arrest. The affidavit was issued by the General Sessions Court of Blount County, Tennessee. Courtesy Photo

According to the affidavit, Patrick was interviewed at the Harriman Police Department along with other co-defendants after police arrested Keshawn Lonnell Hopewell on Aug. 1 at a residence in Harriman, Tennessee.

Hopewell and another man were charged with criminal homicide on Aug. 3 in connection with Radford's death.

From those interviews, police were able to determine Patrick was involved in the homicide.

affidavit2
Page two of the probable cause affidavit for Camion Patrick's arrest. The affidavit was issued by the General Sessions Court of Blount County, Tennessee. Courtesy Photo

The affidavit states that on the day after the homicide occurred, Patrick visited a pawnshop with other co-defendants and took something out of pawn belonging to Patrick, using money taken from Radford.

IUPD Lt. Craig Munroe said IUPD went to Patrick's apartment at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday to take him into custody. Munroe said Patrick was cooperative with the arresting officer, and was then taken to the Monroe County Correctional Facility.

"We serve warrants all the time," Munroe said. "This was no different."

Patrick appeared in Monroe County Court on Thursday afternoon and indicated that he intends to waive his right to an extradition hearing. This would allow officials in Tennessee to retrieve him sooner. 

IU Coach Tom Allen announced that the 22-year-old Patrick, who officials confirmed is being held at the Monroe County Correctional Facility, was granted a medical hardship waiver and left the football team on July 24, just one day before Radford's murder occurred.

Patrick’s brother, Isaiah Wright, was also arrested in Harriman, Tennessee, earlier this week in connection to the murder. The affidavit lists Patrick's home address as the same as his brother's.

The affidavit states police were able to determine that Wright drove Patrick and the co-defendants to an address in Alcoa after the homicide.

Wright and Patrick were featured in Netflix’s documentary series “Last Chance U” this year while Wright played for East Mississippi Community College, where Patrick also played before transferring to IU. 

In 2015, Patrick sat out the entire season due to academic ineligibility, and then suffered a torn ACL in the following offseason. He came back from injury and appeared in 10 games in 2016 while catching six passes for 154 yards and a touchdown. At this summer’s Big Ten Media Days, Allen said Patrick would be ending his football career but planned to stay at IU to finish his education.

Jesse Naranjo and Andrew Hussey contributed to reporting.