Bloomington-based space-rock band release first album

dizgo_web.jpg

Dizgo, a three-piece jamtronica band based in Bloomington, released its first album, "State of Constant Motion,” in June. The band has performed multiple times at the Bluebird and local house parties, and fans can now listen on all available music streaming services.

The band has three members: guitarist and vocalist Andrew Pickel, bass and synth player Kevin Hinnefeld and percussionist Brian Carson. 

Pickel said they formed around the summer of 2015, when he and Hinnefeld reconnected after already playing together in a different group. Afterward, Carson approached them and asked to join the band. 

“Kevin and I have lived in Bloomington our whole lives,” Pickel said. “All three of us went to IU and graduated, so we want to utilize our resources here in Bloomington as much as we can.”

While the band is Bloomington-based, it is planning to branch out. Pickel said Dizgo does most of its work outside Bloomington.

“We are planning on branching out to a lot of different places in the region in the next year, including Michigan, Illinois and Ohio," Pickel said.

Pickel said the band doesn't associate its sound with a specific genre, but instead chooses to incorporate various sub-genres in the music.

“I would call us in the realm of progressive psychedelic space rock,” Pickel said. “We have a lot of Middle Eastern flavors, rock 'n roll, hip-hop stuff going on and deep groove electronica. We are so new that we are constantly seeking out what works best for us.”

Pickel said the album embodies about 12 months of ideas from brainstorming while trying to figure out what Dizgo would become.

“We laid down a very solid, broad foundation,” Pickel said. “This allows Dizgo to launch off of and dip off into many different directions. We have hit a range of genres in this first album, a lot of interests, points and subject matters.” 

Pickel said Dizgo has tried different ways to write its music and establish its sound. The band uses outside experiences like nature to help with its creativity and musical concepts.

“A musical idea comes to the table, and we listen to it multiple times and try to figure out a musical concept that can be translated into vocals,” Pickel said. 

He compared the band's music to that of Papadosio and Lotus, but with more vocals.

Dizgo is now traveling throughout the Midwest to promote the album.Patrick Milescu, the band's manager, said the group would return to the Bluebird soon.