President McRobbie stresses importance of diversity after Charlottesville, Virginia protests

ca-diversity04.jpg

In an Aug. 16 school-wide email addressing the “deeply disturbing” protests in Charlottesville, Virginia, organized by white nationalists, IU President Michael McRobbie stressed the importance of supporting students of all backgrounds. Although people in some parts of the country are speaking out against inclusive environments, IU is becoming increasingly diverse. 

The percentage of minority undergraduates has nearly doubled in the past 10 years, according to University Institutional Research and Reporting, leaping from 11.2 percent in 2006 to 21 percent in 2016. In this case, the term minority includes African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Latinos, American Indians, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders and all multiracial students. 

Following the pattern of a small but steady increase every year, the class of 2021 is expected to be the most diverse of all, said John Nieto-Phillips, vice provost for educational inclusion and diversity. He said this has been accomplished through academic programs, cultural centers on campus and an overall welcoming environment. 

“There is absolutely no room at IU for discrimination or harassment based on anyone’s actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin,” McRobbie said in the email.

Academic achievement is the primary goal for all students, Nieto-Phillips said. 

“We’ve created a number of programs not only to recruit students, but to retain them, as well,” Nieto-Phillips said. 

These programs, such as the Groups Scholars program, provide intensive tutoring, student mentoring and financial support to ensure all students graduate in a timely manner. Eighty percent of Groups Scholars are underrepresented minorities, Nieto-Phillips said. A scholarship was created in 2013 to support student minority participation in studying abroad. 

In addition to academic support, there are five culture centers spread throughout campus, the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center, the Asian Culture Center, the First Nations Educational and Cultural Center, La Casa Latino Cultural Center and the LGBTQ+ Cultural Center.  

“We’re really working to be attentive to every student’s needs,” Nieto-Phillips said. 

Freshman Quang Hoang is from Vietnam. He participated in the Intensive Freshman Seminars, which are part of a 16-day summer school program.

As an international student, Hoang said he came to IU a week earlier than domestic IFS participants so that he could begin to adapt to America.

“Everyone here is so supportive and friendly so my transition has been pretty smooth,” he said. 

As of 2016, international students represent 150 countries from across the globe. IU takes pride in its many cultures and strives to provide the same respect to every person, regardless of if they are involved with IU or not, McRobbie said in the email. 

“IU stands in solidarity with citizens and groups across our nation who oppose a supremacist ideology of bigotry, hatred, violence, intimidation and assault on our liberties,” McRobbie said in the email.