Diversity initiatives win IUB an Institutional Excellence Award

Associate Professor of Business Law Martin McCrory, left, accepts the Institutional Excellence Award from awards chair Carmen Suarez. IU announced that McCrory will resign from his position as associate vice president for the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs.

For the first time, IU has been awarded the Institutional Excellence Award. 

This award is given to institutions that excel in promoting and extending diversity and inclusion initiatives on campus, according to an IU press release. IU provost and executive vice president Lauren Robel said it goes to the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs and others in the IU community. 

“Diversity and inclusion are central to our mission as a public university and essential to the strength of our community here on the Bloomington campus,”  Robel said in the release. “This award reflects not only the dedicated efforts of the OVPDEMA staff under the guidance of Martin McCrory, but also the contributions of countless individuals across the entire campus who are committed to making IU Bloomington a warm and welcoming place for people of all backgrounds to come together and learn, thrive and excel.”

The National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education presented the award to the University, according to the release. Martin McCrory, IU’s chief diversity officer, accepted the award at an annual formal conference last week in Washington, D.C.

The University’s many contributing efforts played a role in their nomination for this kind of award after initiatives like the Overseas Studies and Scholarship Program and IU’s success with the Groups Scholars Program and the 21st Century Scholars Covenant, according to the release.

“Thanks to the coordinated efforts of administrators, faculty, students and staff, IU Bloomington has made significant strides in recent years to transform the campus into a national leader in diversity and inclusion,” McCrory said in the release. “Although we certainly have much work left to do, this national honor is a recognition of the many talented individuals who have helped to prioritize diversity and inclusion on the Bloomington campus.”