Multiple Hoosiers earn preseason accolades

spmenssoccer.jpg

The IU men’s soccer season begins on Aug. 25, but four players have already been awarded preseason honors. 

On Wednesday, three Hoosiers were named to the Big Ten preseason honors list: senior defender Grant Lillard, junior defender Andrew Gutman and junior midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr. The three were among 24 other individuals named to the preseason honors list, which featured three players from each Big Ten university.

Gutman, a two-time Second-Team All-Big Ten selection who was a crucial part of last year's Hoosier defense, helped IU post 11 shutouts last season. The junior defender also managed to score one goal and record three assists.

Gutjahr appeared in 20 games last season, with 11 starts. Along with recording one goal and one assist in 2016, the midfielder earned a spot on the U.S. Men’s National Team’s U-20 squad in February during the CONCACAF Championship.

IU comes into the season ranked seventh in the nation and second in the Big Ten, according to the United Soccer Coaches preseason poll. The Hoosiers finished 12-2-7 overall last season and went undefeated, 3-0-5, in Big Ten play. In the conference, the Hoosiers rank behind only Maryland, which topped the preseason rankings.

Along with Big Ten honors, Lillard has been named to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List and also earned preseason First-Team All-America honors. 

IU also named its captains for the 2017 season Sunday. IU Coach Todd Yeagley named Lillard, junior midfielder Jack Griffith and junior midfielder Francesco Moore as the three team captains.

Michael Ramirez