WIUX begins final semester at station house

Arts Filler

When news broke last November that WIUX, Bloomington’s student-run radio station, would move to Franklin Hall by the end of the summer, it didn’t come as a complete surprise to the organization; the current house was always meant to be temporary.

Six months later, WIUX begins the final season of programming at its current station house Monday before concluding programming on July 1. Following a two-week preparation period, the “pure student radio” station will move to the Media School on July 16.

“I’m feeling wistful,” said WIUX Public Relations Director Matt Hamilton. “It’s been strange, but at the same time I’m looking forward to the opportunities to come.”

WIUX has broadcast from its current location since 2014 following a move spurred by construction on the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house. Prior to 2014, the station ran its programming from a house at 815 E. 8th St. for 41 years.

The move from the station house to the Media School followed notice from the University that the organization’s current tenure on 8th street was drawing to a close. At that time, it was already determined that the Media School would play host to WIUX’s new studio.

“We’re going to be receiving a lot of administrative support going into the Media School,” Hamilton said.

Over the last three years, WIUX frequently organized in-studio sessions and live performances with local artists. Those will continue to be a focus, said Hamilton, and there are plans to host and broadcast DJ sessions.

The organization’s new space in the Media School will include radio and Internet broadcast studios as well as a common area and production studio.

Hamilton said WIUX hopes to benefit from these facilities and the resources available at the Media School. Past collaborations with the Media School include the WIUX news team’s Nov. 8 election night coverage overseen by the Media School’s founding dean, James Shanahan.

July’s move won’t mark the first major transition period in WIUX’s history.

Then known as WIUS, the organization carried on broadcasting after losing its first home in 1972 to arson. In 2015, lightning struck the current station house, damaging equipment.

Hamilton said he’s not concerned about this move.

“The only thing that I fear we’re losing is the house itself,” Hamilton said. “WIUX is really the people involved in it.”