crime & courts

One man shot but not seriously injured during the weekend

Region Filler

shooting reported during the weekend had one victim, who was not seriously injured. The victim has been released from the hospital, and police said Tuesday a search for the suspect is underway.

Police responded at about 3:50 a.m. Sunday to the 100 block of South Kingston Drive, where several witnesses reported hearing gunshots, Bloomington Police Department Lt. John Kovach said. Investigators found multiple brass 40-caliber shell casings in the road but had no initial suspect or victim.

During the investigation, IU Health Bloomington Hospital called police to report an apparent gunshot victim, a 24-year-old man with injuries to his right thigh and right index finger.

Police interviewed the man, who told them he’d spotted another man, who he believed had stolen some of his money, at the Speedway on Kingston and East Third Street. He pulled into the lot, where the man was in the passenger seat of a car, and the two began having a conversation.

While they talked, the driver of the other car pulled away. The victim followed, and they stopped next to each other on the 100 block of South 
Kingston.

The victim confronted the man about the stolen money, he told police. The man then got out of his car, raised a gun and started 
firing.

The victim slumped in his car seat and drove away. He eventually wound up at a friend’s apartment, where he felt pain in his leg and saw blood. His friends took him to the hospital, where he was treated and released.

The car had bullet holes through its passenger side, and its passenger window was broken, Kovach said. Police have the name of the suspect and are attempting to locate him.