Men's tennis plays last home matches of the season

Sports Filler

The IU men’s tennis will be playing its last two home matchups of the season this weekend against two Big Ten teams that they beat last year on the road.

On Friday afternoon IU, 11-10, will be host to Nebraska, and on Sunday at noon, it will take on Iowa.

IU Coach Jeremy Wurtzman said IU learned from the experience of facing Ohio State, the second-best team in the country last weekend and will seek consistent play against the two upcoming conference opponents.

“The players got to play against a team fighting for the national title," Wurtzman said. "There was a lot we took in that match. It can be positive and negative.”

Last season the Hoosiers came up on top against the Huskers and the Hawkeyes on the road. IU defeated Nebraska 4-2, and in the following match it beat Iowa 4-0.

Wurtzman also said his team has had several home matches this season and that his team will go out Friday and Sunday to enjoy the fact it is playing its final two dual matches on their courts.

“We want to make a tough environment for teams to come play in,” Wurtzman said. “We want to be loud and make them know they are at IU. We want great energy from each slot on the team whether you are playing or not.”

Wurtzman said he wants his team to be consistant in both stages of the matches. He and the players have said throughout the season that the doubles point is key.

Even though they can't control the doubles outcome, Wurtzman said he wants his players to put themselves in a good position for a win.

“I think it is just about being disciplined in our matches,” Wurtzman said. “In our individual matches and not going for shots we really don’t have or going for risky shots. We really want to play good high-percentage tennis.”

This weekend will be the last time seniors Matthew McCoy and Stefan Lugonjic will play at home in the Hoosier jersey.

Lugonjic said the goal is to win both matches this weekend in order not to fall behind in the race for the NCAA Tournament.

Last season both Lugonjic and McCoy played in the matchups against the Huskies and the Hawkeyes.

McCoy won his singles against both opponents and Lugonjic won at No. 2 doubles against Iowa.

The matchups will both be played outdoors unless there is bad weather.

IU will face Nebraska at 4 p.m. Friday. The Hoosiers will take on the Hawkeyes at noon Sunday.

“Our guys are getting mentally ready to visualize us winning the last two home matches,” Lugonjic said. “And the upcoming weekend is going to be key, but this weekend the goals is getting two wins, and I think we will.”