opinion oped editorial

EDITORIAL: You can trust us

ILLO: Media and Trump

With the tension between the White House and the media industry lately, journalists have a greater responsibility than ever to earn the public’s trust.

According to a recent Quinnipac University Poll, only 37 percent of American voters trust President Trump more than the media to tell them the truth about important issues, and only 35 percent approve of the way he talks about the media.

Quinnipac conducts regular, nationwide surveys about a variety of public issues from political races to education. Frequently cited by such news outlets as the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal, Quinnipac has established itself as a reputable source of statistical information.

This particular poll was conducted from Feb. 16 to 21 and recorded responses from 1,323 voters based on landline and cell phone calls.

The results of the poll are not surprising, given Trump’s tendency to tweet things like “the FAKE NEWS media ... is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!” and “any negative polls are fake news.”

Although it covers a range of other topics, such as respondents’ evaluations of Trump’s economic and immigration policies or their thoughts on his leadership skills, the formal report emphasizes voter disapproval and distrust based on answers to 73 questions.

Trump’s contempt for the press as a public institution is unprecedented among U.S. presidents. His behavior has caused widespread confusion about the truth and where to find it, although voters from his party remain very supportive. Among Republicans, 78 percent trusted Trump more than the news to tell them the truth.

Despite partisan divide on that question, 90 percent of all Americans regardless of party affiliation said they felt it was either very or somewhat 
important that the news media hold public officials 
accountable.

The Editorial Board encourages you to support the Indiana Daily Student as IU’s source of news media in its dedication to accurate and ethical journalism.

This statement is an obvious and loaded claim for opinion writers of a student newspaper to make. It may seem like this piece serves our own interests, and it does, but the argument we’re presenting is equally beneficial to you, our readers.

You are the students and professors of IU, the residents of Bloomington, the members of the larger audience we reach online, and the American public. It is vital you know the truth about what’s happening in your country and in your world.

We urge you to look to the IDS – especially the news pages surrounding these editorials – and to seek out other sources so that you get a balanced picture of the reality that faces you. We know we’re under a lot of pressure right now. With the commander in chief calling media a public enemy, maintaining credibility and sound judgment is more important than it has ever been.

In the same way that many of you do your best work under pressure, the Editorial Board is committed to giving you our best writing when you need it most.

We promise no hot takes or sensationalist headlines, no scathing rants without any facts to back them up.

We recognize that opinion pieces are among the most-shared articles when it comes to the news’s presence on social media, and we want to dedicate ourselves to making sure we’re being fair with our arguments as well as giving you a sufficient range of 
differing perspectives.

It’s no secret that our nation is facing a difficult time right now. But no matter what happens, we’ll be here. Stick with us.