COLUMN: Spring break style mirrors runway looks

Arts Filler

With spring break just days away, one can only imagine what kinds of trends will appear on beaches this year. Well, surprisingly enough, some of the same trends we saw emerge on the runways earlier this year are making their way to the beaches of Florida and Mexico as well.

This year has been a big one for velvet. We have seen velvet in many different forms, making a big jump from just being the staple fabric for Juicy Couture velour jump and track suits.

From velvet ankle booties, slip dresses and everything in between, velvet has made a lasting mark on the fashion world this year. By making its transition from a plush, wintery fabric to the beaches, we see that velvet is not going out of style any time soon.

Triangl Swimwear, a high-end swimwear line, released a line of velvet swimsuits earlier this year. I know what you are thinking: How well does velvet fair against sand, saltwater and pool water chlorine? According to Triangl, the neoprene and Italian velvet swimsuits are subject to sun fading but will stop peers dead in their tracks when worn on the beach or by the pool.

Like we have seen earlier this year, ‘90s trends are making a big comeback. Triangl implemented these styles in their new collections, but also added their own personal flare. We see the revival of the quintessential “Baywatch” one-piece bathing suits with high cuts around the legs and a scoop in the back. These bathing suits were very popular in the ‘90s, but Triangl updated the style to be trendier by combining neoprene and Italian velvet.

There is another ‘90s trend making a cameo in swimwear. Denim swimsuits have also emerged this season in swim and beachwear. From different two-piece styles and one-pieces, there is a denim swimsuit to fit everyone’s body type. You can only imagine what Britney Spears would be wearing on the beaches of Malibu in the late ‘90s and early 2000s.

Another spring break trend that is big this year is high-waisted swimsuit bottoms. Victoria’s Secret’s PINK line released a collection of these trendy bottoms with slits all along the sides for a more flirty and girly feel. They also designed many different styles of swimsuit tops, giving beachgoers the option to pick what fits their style and body type.

Crop tops, flip-flops and jean shorts will be everyone’s go-to while transitioning from the beach to the pool. At night, rompers, bodysuits and flowy tanks will be seen down the street of Las Olas in Fort 
Lauderdale.

Chunky heels and wedge sandals provide style but are also easy to walk in, whether trekking to dinner or to the nightlife.

No matter your swim style preference, velvet or no velvet, do not forget to pack your sunscreen, favorite sunglasses and a good book.