COLUMN: First weeks in Maastricht introduce complexity of culture

Leading up to the start of classes in Maastricht, I caught myself dreading the prospect of returning to school on more than one occasion.

In a previous column I referenced Maastricht University’s problem-based learning instructional system, which places students in small tutorial groups where participation, creative problem solving and active discussion are essential to learning course material.

The bulk of last week was spent in welcome programs designed to introduce students to this method of instruction.

In one of these programs, my peers and I were divided into groups meant to simulate problem based learning. We were given a topic to deconstruct and analyze as a group, and I found it pleasantly uncomfortable being the only American among a dozen or so students from quite literally all corners of the world.

It felt a bit odd that the topic we were given concerned the morality and legality of Edward Snowden’s National Security Agency leaks.

It seems likely that American students would be the ones best equipped to discuss this issue, so I think it may have made it a little more difficult for some students to contribute to the discussion.

After this week devoted to becoming acclimated to the new classroom environment, I traveled north to Amsterdam to enjoy the final days of my extended winter break.

The Dutch capital is a vibrant and homely city with a hodgepodge of cultures. Amsterdam’s 160 canals combine to form more than 60 miles of waterways and offer some of its most breathtaking vistas.

The city’s famed red light district and assortment of coffee shops, which sell much more than hot drinks, have given the city a reputation for debauchery and decadence, for better or for worse.

The argument regarding the legalization and regulation of prostitution and soft drugs is complicated on its own, but I think this reputation encourages other forms of lawlessness and disorder that give the city a bit of a black eye. Still, if you choose, it’s easy to avoid these things and enjoy Amsterdam on its own merits.

Overall, the overwhelming presence of tourists in Amsterdam is hard to escape. In this respect, smaller Dutch cities like Maastricht are sure to offer more cultural immersion, but Amsterdam is well worth a weekend trip at the very least.

Upon further reflection, though, I realized I’ve seldom heard non-Americans complaining about receiving an education. Consider also the fact that Maastricht University is a globally-recognized and accredited university, and these thoughts begin to seem silly.

With all the talk about making America great again, it’s easy to lose sight of all the things many of us take for granted. This semester I’ll be taking classes with students from countries where schooling is an immense privilege not an afterthought or a source of grief.

My coursework will be difficult, but that’s the point. Plus, the start of classes doesn’t mean the end of my freedom — there’s always the 
weekend.