IU College Republicans have outreach event

IU Republicans Chairwoman Reagan Kurk speaks with attendees at the "Right Wing Night" event at Buffa Louie's Monday. The outreach event brought enough students to completely fill the lower level of the restaurant and almost the middle.

Inside Buffa Louie’s restaurant students reached into trays of wings and spoke about the Super Bowl, politics and classes at IU College Republican’s semi-annual “Right Wing Night.”

There were enough people to fill the lower level of the restaurant and most of the middle level, but Chairwoman Reagan Kurk said in comparison to previous semesters it was a small turnout.

“It’s the largest outreach event of the semester,” she said.

They weren’t going to address President Trump’s recent controversial executive order, she said. They would save those discussions for official meetings later in the semester.

This event’s purpose was to bring new people into the organization, she said. However, several attendees said the factor that brought them to the event was free wings.

The first order of wings was completely consumed before the end of the line.

Kurk stood on a bench so she rose above everyone else present to give an official welcome.

“Thank you all so much for coming,” she said. “We’re glad to have you.”

Despite staying mum on the executive order, students still discussed politics underneath the televisions playing the Duke versus Notre Dame game:

“The Democrats will stall his progress for the first three weeks with appointments.”

“There’s a lot of misinformation out there.”

“That’s false news.”

However, the dominant discussion throughout the room was not centered on politics but rather introductions and small talk.

“We want to provide a platform where people can get involved and have a better dialogue and put their beliefs into practice,” Kurk said.

The event was sponsored by Rep. Trey Hollingsworth, R-9th District, and Sen. Todd Young, R-Indiana. The local Republicans paid for the wings. Kurk gave an announcement to thank the two Republicans.

“They’ve always been great partners,” she said. “They’ve helped get us connected and engaged politically.”