Bloomington Pride Film Festival seeks to create safe haven for LGBT community

entpride

Clad in a shimmering animal print dress, a performer steps onto the stage in drag.

“I am what I am, and what I am needs no excuses,” they sang with arms spread toward the audience.

The performance kicked off Thursday, the first of three nights of the 2017 Bloomington Pride Film Festival at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Including the performances, the night involved a collection of short films and a feature film titled “Jewel’s Catch One.”

Fezz Hussain, attendee and graduate student, said he attended the event to celebrate diversity within the LGBT community and Bloomington as a whole.

“Bloomington is full of people from all walks of life who deserve to have their stories heard,” he said. “I’m here today because I want to show support for a lot of people who may often feel silenced because their issues — LGBTQ issues — should matter to our community.”

Hussain said a film festival is the perfect opportunity to celebrate these stories.

“I think film is an amazing media for sharing information and to humanize and put a face to the members of the LGBTQ who really need their voice to be heard,” he said.

Becca Smith, Bloomington High School South student and member of Prism Youth Community, said listening to these voices is necessary in achieving understanding of and offering representation to the LGBT community.

“I think a lot of people within the LGBT community don’t get to see themselves and their stories on screen very often, so any opportunity to represent them is powerful,” she said. “Only by hearing these stories can we understand this community and their struggles and help them create change.”

Attendee Erica De Santis has been coming to the Bloomington Pride Film Festival since its beginning 15 years ago.

She said the emotional effect of the films empowers viewers to move forward as a community. This empowerment is what De Santis said makes her come back year after year.

“The films shine a spotlight on real issues and leaves you feeling positive and empowered and ready to go out into the world and change it,” she said. “It really evokes emotion and makes people connect and celebrate progress together while mourning the 
obstacles.”

One of these obstacles is the current political climate, De Santis said.

“We need to hear these stories now,” she said. “A lot of people are struggling. People are really fearful and in mourning and feeling like they can’t make a difference. We can’t lose sight of the fact that we can.”

Hussain said he agrees that changes in 
administration and political discourse has incited fear within the LGBT community, which is why community members must be cognizant of the current situation.

“There’s been a lot of verbiage thrown around that may incite strong opinions in either polar direction, and it’s important in terms of unity to show a strong voice to show support for people of all different walks of life,” he said.

He said he hopes Bloomington can become a safe haven for members of the LGBT community, but external factors may impede progress toward this ideal community of acceptance.

“The city of Bloomington is a bit more progressive than others, so I think it has the potential to serve as a safe haven,” he said. “Whether or not it will be a reality may be more limited to Indiana and federal 
legislation.”

Smith said she still hopes Bloomington can be a positive environment for the LGBT community. Above all she said she wants Bloomington to be a model of acceptance for the rest of the country.

“Ideally, everywhere should be a safe haven,” she said. “We definitely need to create a safe place here in our community, but we shouldn’t stop there. We need to set an example and help make change in the entire country.”