sports swimming & diving

King wins fourth gold medal of World Championships

SPORTS OLY-SWIMMING 16 GT

WINDSOR, Ontario – IU sophomore swimmer Lilly King finished her week at the 2016 Federation internationale de natation World Short Course Championships with her fourth gold medal.

King was apart of the women’s 4x100-meter medley relay that placed first Sunday night.

King and Team USA teammates Ali DeLoof, Kelsi Worrell and Mallory Comerford finished the race in 3:47.89. That time gave them the World Championship record and was almost a full second faster than second-place Canada.

King also finished fourth in the women’s 200 breaststroke final earlier in the night.

The event helped push King to be the top-points earning female swimmer at the World Championships with 987 total points which was five more than second place Etiene Medeiros of Brazil.

King’s medal, in addition to being her fourth gold, put current, former and post-grad IU swimmers at a grand total of 12 medals on the week, including six gold, five silver and one bronze. If IU had competed as its own country, those 12 medals would have been the second most of any nation competing, trailing only the United State’s 30.

Other IU swimmers included juniors Blake Pieroni and Kennedy Goss, Hoosier alum Cody Miller, and post-grad swimmer Zane Grothe.

Pieroni finished his week taking fourth in the men’s 100-meter freestyle while also earning two silver medals and one bronze throughout the event. Goss finished the week with a gold in the 800-meter freestyle relay.

Miller tied for seventh in the men’s 50 breaststroke in his final event but also won one gold and one silver medal earlier in the week. Grothe took home silver with Team USA in the 800-meter freestyle relay.

Ben Portnoy