arts performances

'White Christmas' tour rings in the holidays at its first stop

Arts filler image

Christmas came a little early to Bloomington this year as snow and carols filled the room Saturday night in the IU 
Auditorium.

The story of “Irving Berlin’s White Christmas” came alive on the auditorium stage as two former army men find love and plan to help their former general 10 years after World War II.

The classic musical showcases a multitude of ensemble dancing numbers and includes Christmas carols and crooning love songs alike.

Aaron Galligan-Stierle, who plays the stage director in the musical, said the style of the show and the time period in which it is set are some of the most engaging 
parts.

“The style of the show, the era, the specific way comedy works at that time and the way everyone talks to each other — it’s a very unique and special time to get to play in that bubble,” Galligan-Stierle 
said.

The musical was originally adapted from the 1954 film of the same name nearly 50 years after its creation. The story is set during Christmastime in Vermont and includes some of the images classically conjured from the holiday 
season.

“The show really offers a message of helping others and doing something for others,” said Dave Schoonover, who played Ralph Sheldrake in the musical. “That really is transient among all seasons and not only exclusive to the holiday season.”

For the performers, Bloomington was the first stop on their tour, which will travel primarily throughout the West Coast and end Jan. 1.

The performers led a master class for IU theater students while in Bloomington. During the classes, the performers share their own business experience and personally instructed students.

Schoonover said he enjoys participating in these events because he knows how formative they are.

“I remember every one of those that I did when I was a kid,” Schoonover said. “It sticks with you, so I’m always glad to do those because I remember all the ones I went to.”

The group often travels by bus or plane to get to its next venue, and while many find the travel exhausting, Bryan Moore, who is a part of the musical’s ensemble, said time spent with one another brings the performers closer 
together.

“It was such a treat to come back and see all of these people that I worked with last year,” Moore said. “This feels like a family.”

Kristyn Pope, who plays Rita and is the musical’s dance captain, said the people she works with are special to her and they help create an escape.

“Life can have its ups and downs, and it’s so great to be able to come to a place that’s just pure joy,” Pope said. “It’s like no matter what is happening in life, in the world or whatever, you come here and there’s so much love and there’s so much joy and there’s so much passion.”

Schoonover said he hopes the musical gives audiences a break from their troubling lives for an evening.

“I’ll be honest with you, I hope it’s a really beautiful escape right now,” Schooner said. “I hope that people will both be able to get that escape and also be inspired to help others and do things for others, and that makes you feel good in 
turn.”