crime & courts

Three family members involved in battery

Two people were charged with battery and residential entry and a third person was charged with conspiracy after police responded to a domestic call Saturday. The call involved an infant younger than a year old who was taken but later was found safe.

Bennie Bertram Jr., 24, and Bennie Bertram Sr., 45, were both charged with battery and residential entry. The two males entered an apartment at the 2400 block of South Burberry Lane and attacked the resident in the apartment.

The victim reported injuries to his face and head after the attack, but he did not seek hospital treatment at the time of the alleged 
attack.

The original domestic call came from another address but led police to Burberry Lane, Bloomington Police Sgt. Cody Forston said.

BPD responded to the call and spoke with the complainant, Makaila Bertram. BPD officers then traveled to Burberry and spoke with the other party in the domestic dispute.

While police were leaving Burberry, the Bertram family entered the residence using a key given to them by Makaila.

The Bertrams then left the residence, taking with them the infant who was related to Makaila Bertram, 22. Since the infant was related to one of them, the crime was not classified as a kidnapping, Forston said.

BPD later arrested the three Bertrams at Walmart at West State 
Road 46.

The female was charged with conspiracy after helping them gain entry to the residence.

The child is safe, but BPD is not releasing any information as to the child’s location, Forston said.