arts performances

Players Pub opens for last time

Joe Estivill, owner of Player’s Pub, stands on the stage of the pub with his daughter, Marie Estivill-Kilmer, 7, to address the crowd of people who rallied in support at Player’s Pub Tuesday night. He thanked customers for their support and said that he hopes to keep the pub going.

On their supposed last night of business, Players Pub was overflowing onto the streets. Loud voices drained out the clatter and tumble behind the bar. Waitresses weaved past booths and tables, hoisting trays of burgers and beers over their heads.

Joe Estivill, the owner of Players Pub, walked onto the stage at the front of the bar. A hazy purple light enveloped the platform as he looked out on a full crowd.

“This is hopefully not our last night,” Estivill said.

The management staff of Players Pub announced Tuesday on Facebook that they would be closing permanently. After barely making enough to scrape by for two months, Estivill and his wife Vicki decided they couldn’t run the business any longer.

The evening advertised as the last night was a Tuesday, which meant it was Blues Night.

The James Plessinger Trio tuned their instruments and tested their equipment as Estivill gave a short speech. It wasn’t his night to work, but he showed up anyway to greet the regulars and his supporters.

“It’s been borderline the last couple years, and we were doing well until last year, but September and October sucked,” Estivill said. “We’ve made enough to pay off the crew and for an encore tonight, but we need more help.”

In order to keep the bar open, Estivill and his crew launched a GoFundMe page, with a goal of raising $55,000. They’ve also started selling gift certificates, so the regulars can get some in-house credit in exchange for some support.

“I’m optimistic we can pull it together,” Estivill said.

His daughter, Marie Estivill-Kilmer, rushed onto the stage and grasped his hand. He waved, and was met with thunderous applause as he looked down at the floor and stepped to the back of the bar.

Many Bloomington residents frequent Players Pub, and when they heard it was closing down for good, they showed up for one last meal as a commemoration of all of the memories they’ve had in the cozy, dimly lit building.

In a corner of the pub, Kevin Macdowell and his 11-year-old son Sylvan perched over a high table. As they finished their dinners, consisting of a burger for Sylvan and some smothered fries for Kevin, they talked about the pub’s place in the community.

Kevin played music at Players Pub once a month, sometimes more. He also showed up for the food with his son, who asked Kevin to take him there that night to support 
Estivill’s business.

“It didn’t take much convincing,” Kevin said.

Players Pub has music shows seven nights a week, with the set lists spanning all genres. Kevin said he enjoys playing there because it’s a place that is accepting and friendly. He and Sylvan also love the food, and because they said they feel it’s such a big, family-friendly part of the community, they’ll have trouble if they see it all end.

“I hope it’s not the last night,” Kevin said. “It’s hard to run businesses, but we can all help Joe and Vicky to keep it running.”

Estivill’s had music shows booked into January, and he said he thinks the turnout means they might go on after all. After seeing how many people showed up to support his business on what was supposed to be its last night, he had a renewed sense of optimism.

As he stood outside of Players Pub, watching Marie run about and climb a lamppost, he greeted everyone who passed by. Everyone stopped to give him their 
support.

A small group walked out of the alley, heading toward the main entrance.

“It ain’t over,” they called to him, waving and grinning. “We’ll see another day.”

“That’s what I’m aiming for,” Estivill said, smiling back.