sports men's soccer

IU men’s soccer staying home for the tournament

spiums

The NCAA Tournament field of 48 is set, and IU is in a spot that gives it a chance to make a run.

The Hoosiers were awarded the No. 7 overall seed. It may be higher than some thought, but when you analyze how they fared against top teams this season (4-1-2 vs. RPI top 25 teams) the seeding appears more appropriate. IU will host a second round match and, if they a win, a third round match.

The second round opponent will be either Akron or Villanova. Those teams play Thursday in the first round, and the winner will make the trip to Bloomington Sunday to face the Hoosiers.

“They are two teams that we haven’t played, but I think sometimes that can be a good thing,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “You play a team you are very familiar with — a Notre Dame, a Butler, a Louisville — those are different challenges because you feel like you know too much. I think the players and staff are excited to look at potential matchups and know there will be potential new faces.”

IU has drawn seven times, more than any team in the country. The Hoosiers are not one to concede many goals and haven’t for much of the season. Their backline has given up multiple goals in a game just three times and boast 10 clean sheets.

When it comes down to elimination games at this time of the season, a strong defense will keep you in any game. In 10 home matches this season, the Hoosiers have conceded just five goals. IU senior midfielder Phil Fives called it huge to be able to host.

“To get the two home games is great,” Fives said. “Just having your fans around you and not having to travel or get jet-lagged makes a huge difference.”

The Hoosiers had a tough exit from the Big Ten Tournament in their loss to Wisconsin in penalties. The loss followed the script of games earlier this season where they had chance after chance, shot after shot but couldn’t find the goal they needed.

IU now has the critical learning experience that comes from a tough loss. They wanted another crack at Maryland but didn’t get it. Fives said it might have helped this team to have endured a tough loss.

“If anything, it helped us lock in a little bit,” Fives said. “It was a tough loss, but I think everyone has a chip on our shoulders and we’re ready to go.”

Yeagley said it is great that they will have the opportunity to host. The Hoosiers have had success at home this season (7-0-3) and there is no reason to think that would change. The coaching staff is preaching the same message they have preached all season long. They aren’t looking ahead to hosting another game past Sunday. They are completely focused on the next game on their schedule.

“They’re very confident,” Yeagley said. “They are very locked in to knowing that you can speculate that would be two home games, but we know what work is ahead. I’ve seen a lot of teams in the tournament — there are a lot of good teams — I think there will be some surprises amongst the brackets amongst seeded teams.”