IU club golf set to play for national championship

The IU club golf team qualified to compete in the National Collegiate Club Golf Association National Championship for the second consecutive season.

This weekend the team will compete in the tournament at Walt Disney Resort in Orlando, Florida. The tournament features 30 of the best club teams in the nation and the 16 best individuals.

A total of 350 schools across the country compete to qualify for the national championship.

The field includes some big-name schools, such as Michigan, Arizona State, Florida State, Alabama, UCLA, Florida, Iowa and the reigning spring national champions, South Carolina.

This isn’t new ground for the Hoosiers. They were in this same exact position last year when they qualified and finished tied for sixth place, but the race this year wasn’t as clear-cut.

IU traveled to Purdue for the last tournament to try to qualify for the national championship. It was between IU and Purdue to see who would emerge as regional champions and compete on the national stage.

Purdue ended up winning its home course tournament by a convincing 17 strokes. Regardless of Purdue’s lopsided victory, IU ended up advancing to its second consecutive national championship due to an NCCGA tie-breaker.

Every team will arrive by Friday and have the opportunity to play a practice round at either 7 a.m. or 2 p.m. The tournament gets under way Saturday morning. The first tee times are at 7 a.m.

Zach Stark will lead the Hoosiers on the course at 8:36 a.m. on the 10th hole of the Palm course Saturday morning. He will be followed by fellow Hoosier golfers Noah Fishbein, Spencer Gillig, Elliot Marshall, Matthew Lorah, Brian Dahm, Kevin Mceneany and Kyle Ostling.

The Golf Channel, Skratch TV and Global Golf Post will provide coverage throughout the tournament.

Walt Disney World Resort is also providing the teams with discounted tickets to the theme parks and purchasing tickets to the Dallas Mavericks and Orlando Magic game Saturady night.

The tournament will conclude Sunday at the post-tournament award ceremony where a victor will be crowned. Teams and individuals will be recognized for their achievements at the prestigious event.

This story has been updated.