sports men's soccer

Hoosiers rack up Big Ten awards

Sophomore defender Andrew Gutman crosses a player in Sunday afternoon's 2-1 victory over Michigan State at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

The Big Ten Conference announced their 2016 All-Big Ten teams Friday and IU men's soccer saw four players make the first or second teams.

IU senior midfielder Tanner Thompson and junior defender Grant Lillard were named to the All-Big Ten First Team while sophomore defender Andrew Gutman and senior forward Richard Ballard were named to the Second Team All-Big Ten. IU senior defender Derek Creviston was also named IU’s sportsmanship award nominee.

In addition to Thompson being named to the first team for the second year in a row, the senior was also named the Big Ten Midfielder of the Year. Both Lillard and Gutman made their respective teams for the second straight year while Ballard was named for the first time in his career.

"These individual awards are a reflection of the hard work and success we have had as a team throughout the regular season," IU Coach Todd Yeagley said in a release. "I am very happy to see Richard and Derek honored this year for all the work they have put into our program over the past five years. They have been great leaders and teammates and both were key members of our 2012 National Championship team.”

Thompson has eight goals and two assists on the season for the Hoosiers including a hat trick and a co-offensive player of the week award in the Big Ten last week.

Lillard has been a staple of the IU defense all season long. The Hoosiers have posted nine shutouts on the season to lead the Big Ten.

Gutman’s season has been nothing short of impressive. The left-back has pushed up the wings and created havoc for opposing defenses.

Ballard, who hadn’t earned a Big Ten honor before this season, has four goals and one assist this season.

The Hoosiers take on the Northwestern Wildcats Sunday in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament.

Josh Eastern