COLUMN: If you don't vote, you shouldn't complain

As we know, this 
presidential election cycle is 
depressing. Tensions are running high, and no one wants to cross party borders and compromise.

I can see why this might lead people to think the system is rigged, votes don’t matter and there’s no point. I disagree. Whether or not we believe in a candidate fully, we all have the social responsibility to vote.

The Electoral College is an interesting system to say the least.

Essentially, our votes don’t directly count towards a candidate. We instead advise our state’s electors on how to cast their votes when they meet after the popular vote. In all, there are 538 electors in total, and a candidate needs 270 of their votes to win.

This system is often criticized and cited as a major reason why people refuse to vote. However, its intentions are pure: to prevent seriously unfit candidates from entering the presidential office.

The Electoral College may seem scary, but it exists to prevent tyranny of the masses. It’s important, and it should by no means stop anyone from voting.

The other major reason why people don’t want to vote this year is because they feel like Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are too awful to support. This is where I’d normally spout some Libertarian propaganda about Gary Johnson, but that’s not the point of this piece.

I understand that our major choices are seriously underwhelming this year, but that’s all the more reason to go out and vote. Whether you feel like you have to pick from the lesser of two evils or you are an ardent supporter of a third party, you have a social responsibility as an American to vote.

Thankfully, there’s no law that forces us to vote. That would be absolutely unjust, and our freedom to sit out from the elections should never be repealed. My personal opinion, however, is that choosing not to vote means you’re choosing not to complain about how things turn out.

It isn’t a legal responsibility, but an ethical one.

Frankly, I don’t think America has a particularly bright four years ahead of her. I wish I could say that we will magically wise up as a nation and stop allowing such unfit people to become our leaders, but it seems that things are getting worse rather than better.

But now that we’ve gotten ourselves into this mess, we need to deal with it.

The worst part is that many people say that they’re making a statement by not voting, like it’s an admirable thing. Claiming moral superiority by not voting is akin to not attending class because your professor is stupid. That’s good for you, but you’re going to fail.

I love the American political system. Our candidates this year are underwhelming to say the least, but we have to have faith in the process that has gotten our beautiful country this far. You absolutely have the right not to vote this Tuesday, but please don’t exercise it.