sports field hockey

Barber ends IU career with multiple honors

Then-junior Kate Barber battles for the ball against a Miami of Ohio University player in a loss to the Redhawks in 2015. Barber scored two goals this weekend in the Buckeye Invitational in Columbus, Ohio.

IU field hockey senior defender Kate Barber said she was just happy to go out there on the field and play one more time representing the Hoosiers.

A total of 18 goals and 40 points during the regular season were more than enough to convince the National Field Hockey Coaches’ Association that the Hoosier captain deserved to be in the NFHCA’s All-Star Senior Game.

Barber ended her career as a Hoosier playing alongside some of the best field hockey players of the country, but she wasn’t afraid to show everyone her offensive skills.

“It was actually really cool to get to play with girls from other teams,” Barber said. “The talent and the abilities of the girls that were selected for the game were very high. I think the potential, if all those girls were on the same team, would be a great game of hockey, and that is what it was.”

In the game, Barber was able to find the back of the net on one occasion to mark her 19th goal of the year. Although it was an unofficial goal that won’t count in the record books, she still broke the single-season goal-scoring record previously held by Linda Schrott with 17 goals in 2005.

Barber said IU Coach Amanda Janney had her role on the field modified coming into her senior year and this was key for her scoring boom.

“Obviously last year I played a more defensive role, and this year I got to push up more,” Barber said. “I was utilized more on corners, so I think that definitely had a role. But I think just being able to be at the right place at the right time and having such great teammates to set me up for the opportunities.”

Barber was able to capitalize on those opportunities in order to keep receiving honors weeks after the end of the season.

This week Barber was named to NFHCA All-West Region First Team, her fourth recognition in her senior year.

Earlier this year she received All-Big Ten First Team honors and was selected for the All-Big Ten Tournament team and the senior game.

These four honors that end Barber’s time as a Hoosier on a high note also raise the expectations of her younger teammates looking at next season. Juniors Maddie Latino, Elle Hempt and Taylor Pearson will be expected to step up for Barber’s absence next season as they become seniors.

“I think, just take everything in and really utilize the lifting and running, all of that good stuff,” Barber said as advice to her younger teammates. “Really just take it step by step and really see all the progress that they are making and on the field working that little extra bit harder and being leaders by example.”

As her time at Indiana comes to an end, Barber said she is really thankful for everyone that has been by her side during her four years. She is excited to see what’s next for her, she said.

“I would not be here without any of these people. Anybody at home, my family, all the supporters here,” Barber said. “It is a great opportunity that I was given and I think I took it full steam ahead.”