student life

Student-run cafe serves cheap drinks and snacks

Cheshire Cafe

On the ground floor of the Edmondson building of Collins Living Learning Community, students sip on coffee, eat sweets and drink Italian soda from an “Alice in Wonderland”-themed café.

The Cheshire Café was a student’s Q project, a service project that gives back to Collins, that began 25 years ago.

The small café started in a closet and developed into a non-profit business. Now the Cheshire Café has job opportunities for Collin 
students.

The Cheshire Café has a staff of nine baristas and two co-managers, Kaela Bonaguro and Ilise Kundel.

Bonaguro said she deals with the inventory of the café while Kundel manages the finances.

“I make sure that the café is stocked with all the goodies and supplies our baristas need to make lovely drinks for all who stop by,” Bonaguro said.

The café is open 8 p.m. until midnight every day. Each barista has one night per week to work.

The Tuesday barista is Hazel Radvansky. She said she has worked three years at the Cheshire Café. Radvansky said it’s great 
working at the café.

Radvansky can set the mood of the night with her playlist and meet great people all night.

“We have so much variety,” Radvansky said. “Anyone can get any drink they like here.”

He said every night is different because each barista brings his or her own flavor to it.

The Sunday barista, Jessica Graves, is new to being a barista at the Cheshire Café.

She said it is the most relaxing job she’s ever worked, even with having to deal with long lines.

“Everyone is super friendly and nice,” Graves said. “My favorite thing to make are the hot chocolates because there is such a variety of them. On the special board I create I have the rose white hot chocolate, which is very popular so far.”

Aside from hot chocolate, students have choices of Italian sodas, frappuccinos, milkshakes, lattes, cookies and various 
pastries.

On the menu, there are also seasonal drinks, and this fall it features apple cider for a dollar.

The menu at the café fits a student’s budget. Every item being less than $3, and it is cash-only.

The café has many round tables and comfy chairs to sit in while customers drink a beverage, eat or study.

Hugh Dunbar said he likes to come to the restaurant to have the milkshakes, socialize and study.

Another frequenter of the Cheshire Café, Jack Moskowitz, drank his root beer float while sitting in a brown armchair Oct. 4. He lives in Collins, but the Cheshire Café is open to everyone to visit.

All students can enjoy its twinkling lights, friendly environment and art pieces.

“There’s not a lot of places that make food and items personally in front of you,” Moskowitz said. “A lot of the food on campus is provided by RPS. So having something made in front of you makes it a bit more 
interesting.”