Oliver Winery awarded Tourism Award

entWinery

Bill and Kathleen Oliver, owners of Oliver Winery in Bloomington, are this year’s recipients of the Will Koch Leadership Tourism Award. As part of Lt. Gov. Eric Holcomb’s annual Hoosier Hospitality Awards at the Indiana State Fair, the award was given to Oliver Winery to honor its 30-plus years as a small business.

Professor William Oliver, who taught at the Maurer School of Law in the 1960s, ran a vineyard and opened up a tasting room in northwest Monroe County in 1972 that eventually became the Oliver Winery. Kathleen Oliver, who is married to William’s son, Bill, joined the team in 1993. She said William did a lot for winemaking in Indiana and in the eastern United States.

“Professor Oliver was instrumental in getting the Indiana Small Winery Act passed that allowed wineries to operate a retail tasting room to taste and sell wine,” Kathleen said. “He was truly a winemaking and grape-growing pioneer in Indiana.”

Kathleen said William had a choice to teach at University of Illinois or IU but ultimately chose IU and decided to start to grow his business in Bloomington.

“Quite simply, professor Oliver chose IU because he thought Bloomington was much prettier,” Kathleen said. “And since he lived and taught here, why not open a winery here?”

In 1983, Bill took over at the winery.

Kathleen said her husband is a talented businessman who had a vision for how successful he could make the venture.

Bill focuses on the winemaking, production and vineyard side of the business, while she manages the retail operation, marketing, staffing, training and administrative duties, 
Kathleen said.

“He focused on the quality of the wine, the beauty of the facility and the hospitality provided by tasting room staff,” Kathleen said of her husband. “It was a combination that led to skyrocketing growth for the next decade and a half.”

When it comes to hospitality, Kathleen said she and her staff have three priorities: people, place and product.

She said she believes having that focus sets Oliver Winery apart from other local businesses.

“A visit to the winery is truly an experience,” Kathleen said. “From the moment folks arrive, they are treated to a visual display of beautiful plants and flowers in our gardens, the tranquil lake and inviting picnic grounds. Visitors are then welcomed with warmth and friendship in our tasting room and invited to taste and learn about our wines and winemaking process.”

Will Koch, who is known for developing the Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari theme parks in Santa Claus, Indiana, has his work in the Indiana tourism industry honored through the Leadership Tourism Award that is in his name.

Every year an exemplary business is awarded the award, showing tourists and Hoosiers alike how much they have contributed to the community.

“The Will Koch Tourism award is monumental,” Kathleen said. “It’s certainly an honor to be recognized for the role our winery has played in enhancing tourism for Indiana.”

After working side by side for many years, Bill and Kathleen’s focus remains on creating the best experience for their visitors.

“It’s more than just tasting wine. It’s about developing relationships with our visitors and helping them get closer to our products and process,” Kathleen said.