arts performances

New Global Music Series showcases student artists

entglobal

As classical music filled the Indiana Memorial Union Starbucks gallery, studying students looked up from their books, surprised to see the performance space at the back of the room being utilized for the first time.

As a part of the Union’s weekly Global Music Series, Jacobs School of Music student Arman Nasrinpay kicked off the show Thursday night by playing German and Russian violin compositions from the Romantic and Classical 
periods.

Graduate student and IMU employee Meredith Young said this is the first year for the concert series, which is an Office of the Provost-sponsored
initiative. She said many of the performers are from the music school, like Nasrinpay.

“The provost just wanted to make sure that we were exposing students on campus and the general public to music and music styles that they’re generally not getting in other areas on campus,” she said. “So we have a lot of Jacobs School student performers, who I think have really appreciated having a venue outside of traditional Jacobs performance spaces. We’re just trying to get more students out to experience the great talent we have on campus.”

Like the concert series, the stage in the Starbucks gallery is also new, 
Young said.

She said the space includes both new sound and lighting systems and will be used for a variety of events.

“We’re trying to dedicate this space as a performance space,” she said. “A lot of times this gets used as a study space, so we’re wanting to maximize the usage that we get out of 
the space.”

Along with Young, Angelica Smith booked and planned the series.

Smith said she and Young reached out to the School of Global and International Studies, other cultural groups on campus, as well as people they know personally to find a variety of artists.

“It can get a lot of difficult because a lot of artists tend to play the same type of instrument, so we’re just looking for those that really stand out,” she said. “We’re trying to branch out a little bit, but I think this is a 
good start.”

Smith said the series incorporates a theme for each week, and this week, the theme was easy-going music that people can vibe to and enjoy.

During the show, Smith said it was the best turnout they had seen so far for 
the series.

Around 8 p.m., funk and soul band Huckleberry Funk took the stage as the second act of the night.

Despite the atmosphere, the group gave a lively performance, and many students paused their studying and working to cheer between songs.

The members of Huckleberry Funk said they found out about the Global Music Series through word of mouth.

Singer-songwriter and senior Dexter Clardy said the band played a mix of original music and covers.

“We’re always happy to play,” said guitarist and junior Mike Gronsky. “We love playing any chance we get for anybody, just sharing the love of good music.”

While Smith said she hoped to improve the marketing for the series as it progresses, Young said she hoped for the series to develop a dedicated 
following.

“I really hope to see people who are coming out every week,” she said. “We’re stepping away from the popular music or of the types of music that students are seeing everywhere on campus and just helping students express their creativity as well as having other students having the opportunity to learn something new.”