politics

Local parties push for early voting

US NEWS DEBATE 36 SL

In an effort to increase the voting rate, the local Democratic and Republican parties are pushing Monroe County residents to vote early.

Early voting begins Oct. 12 at Election Central at 401 W. 7th St. and goes until noon Nov. 7. The effort is meant to encourage all local residents, regardless of party affiliation, to take advantage of the early vote, according to a Democratic Party press release.

In 2014, Indiana had a 30-percent voter turnout rate in the general state election compared to 36.3 percent on the national level, according to the Indiana Election Division and the United States Election Project.

“Early voting is a tremendous resource for our community,” said Patricia Slabach, deputy chair for the Monroe County Democratic Party, in the release. “However, many people aren’t able to take advantage of it possibly due to access to 
transportation.”

Local Democratic Party volunteers will be providing rides for Monroe County residents and IU students. The Monroe County Democratic Party has more than 80 volunteer drivers, Slabach said.

“It’s like an Uber for voting,” Slabach said.

The Republican Party will not offer official rides because most of its supporters “would not have those mobility issues,” said William Ellis, chairman of the Monroe County Republican Party. However, if voters contact the local Republican headquarters, transportation can be set up. The party will also be phone-banking and encouraging Monroe County residents to vote absentee, which falls under the early-voting umbrella.

Early voting is a good opportunity for voters who do not want to stand in line on election day, Slabach said. It is a particularly important opportunity for those who have trouble standing in line for long periods of time or getting to the poll places on election day.

“Voting is a precious right and obligation of citizenship”, said Mark Fraley, chair of the Monroe County Democratic Party, in a press release. “But it needs to be accessible to all.”

By offering early voting, Monroe County residents have the chance to vote when it’s convenient for them. The local Democratic Party wants to make sure there are no obstacles for people who want to cast a vote in person, 
Slabach said.

Ellis said voters should wait until they are certain about who they are voting for before voting early because once the ballot is cast, it cannot be changed, even if a candidate drops out of the race or a scandal comes out.

Ellis said before the Donald Trump comments from 2005 were released, he would not have expected a scandal to drop this late in the race. However, now he said he would not be surprised if something else came out about Trump or Hillary 
Clinton.

“The worst thing you can do is regret your vote,” 
Ellis said.

The local Democratic Party will also run a shuttle every hour on the hour from 1 to 5 p.m. on weekdays to transport students and staff to Election Central.

The parties will also coordinate rides on election day. Anyone can use the services regardless of party affiliation, Slabach said.

Ellis said whether voters chose to vote early or on election day, they should remember every vote counts.

“Republican, Democrat or independent — we just want to see a good turnout for the election,” Slabach said.

Anyone who needs a ride may call or text 317-556-5789 and arrange a ride with someone at the local Democratic Party headquarters, Slabach said. Spanish-speaking voters may call 812-856-8135 or text 
206-388-8375.