sports men's soccer

Hoosiers draw Badgers on the road

Indiana's Richard Ballard during Tuesday evening's 2-0 victory against IUPUI at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

The IU men’s soccer team hadn’t earned a negative result during a Big Ten conference game all season, but Wisconsin hadn’t dropped a match at home this year 
either.

One of those would have to give on Friday when the Hoosiers traveled to Madison, Wisconsin to play the Badgers. Neither team folded on defense as Wisconsin didn’t emerge victorious on its home pitch for the first time all season drawing IU 0-0.

Backup senior goalkeeper Christian Lomeli was called upon to make his first career start in replace of senior goalie Colin Webb. Although IU was outshot by the Badgers by 10 in regulation, Lomeli and the Hoosier defense didn’t break.

Wisconsin had controlled the bulk of the possession throughout the entire first half and early into the second period. With 30 minutes to play in the game, IU was being outshot 15-4 by Wisconsin but the Hoosiers started to get more quality shots as the game dwindled down the stretch.

The best look on the night however came from the Badgers. In the 81st minute, Wisconsin forward Christop Mueller almost found the game winner in a 0-0 match. Mueller was fouled at the top of the 20-foot box and proceeded to take a free kick with a wall of six Hoosiers standing in front of Lomeli.

Mueller’s shot curled left off of his foot as the ball nailed the crossbar and the Hoosiers were able to catch a break on defense.

The Hoosiers controlled the final 30 minutes of regulation and both 10 minute overtime periods, outshooting the Badgers 10-3 in the final 50 minutes of the game.

In the first period of extra time, IU was packing in the box on offense and outshot Wisconsin 4-0 but a few key stops by Badger goalie Phillip Schilling was able to keep IU off the scoreboard.

With three minutes remaining the game, the Hoosiers were able to reel off four consecutive corner kicks by way of aggressive play from sophomore midfielder Trevor Swartz. As IU was unable to convert on all of these occasions, the game ended with IU’s sixth tie of the season and fifth draw in Big Ten play.

With the draw the Hoosiers now sit at 2-0-5 in conference with two regular season games remaining and one conference game left against Michigan State at home on Oct. 30.

IU now slips to third, tied with Wisconsin, in the Big Ten table with 11 points behind Penn State. The Spartans are fifth with 10 points in the conference meaning that the Hoosiers last Big Ten game is a must-win for them if they want to have home field advantage in the first round of the Big Ten tournament.