opinion oped editorial

EDITORIAL: Smart traffic lights are making commutes easier

Tech startup Surtrac aims to revolutionize the way traffic flows in major cities. The fledgling company has already installed its high-tech stoplights in over 50 Pittsburgh intersections.

These traffic lights are able to analyze traffic patterns through cameras and radar, changing lights dynamically as traffic waxes and wanes throughout the day. Though it’s very promising technology, the Editorial Board does have a few key reservations.

In Pittsburgh, Surtrac’s smart lights have been overwhelmingly effective. Since their installation in 2012, the traffic lights have managed to cut emissions by 21 percent and travel time by 25 percent.

The intersections are each able to optimize their light-changing schedule individually, which is a step up from centrally-controlled smart traffic systems. With each stoplight operating at peak individual efficiency, the whole system flows much faster.

This is astounding. If we could have this sort of efficiency in every American city, it would lead to more time spent with friends and family and at work. It would definitely mean less time worrying about exactly how late we can leave home to arrive at our jobs right as our shift starts.

These results can’t be argued. However, any artificially intelligent system makes people nervous, and we worry about some of the potential problems with expanding Surtrac’s system further.

First off, the system is incredibly expensive. It can cost up to $240,000 to equip an intersection with the smart system. Since each stoplight acts independently, they all require advanced computing systems in order to function. Saving 15 minutes on the way to work is nice, but that’s a lot of tax dollars.

Then comes the issue of computer failure. With our dumb traffic lights, it’s unlikely that a computer failure would occur at a major intersection. Although it does happen occasionally, current systems are too simple for it to be a widespread issue.

If an intersection that sees thousands of cars per day were to experience a glitch in a complicated algorithm, it could cause major delays. No one wants more major intersections turning into four-way stops due to a complex error we can’t figure out how to fix.

Our final concern — get your tinfoil hats ready — is that allowing an advanced computer system to control our traffic could create a Skynet-esque problem. The Editorial Board doesn’t necessarily believe that the system will become self-aware and cause mayhem, but anyone with control over these lights could wreak some major havoc.

With all the recent fright over hackers, both domestic and foreign, we only hope that our government and Surtrac are doing everything humanly possible to protect their ambitious technology. We don’t need someone to get ahold of the system and make every Pittsburgh light red for eight hours straight.

Overall, the Editorial Board is cautiously optimistic about the future of intelligent traffic lights. The cost absolutely needs to be trimmed down to be nationally feasible, and cybersecurity is paramount. If Surtrac and other companies can find a safe, efficient way to make traffic less maddening, we say go for it.