education

WonderLab employee receives Hoosier Hospitality award

ciWonderlab

Jennifer Jenkins of the WonderLab Museum of Science, Health & Technology received the Lt. Governor’s Hoosier Hospitality Award in August at the Indiana State Fair.

The WonderLab’s visitor services manager was one of 18 recipients recognized for work in the tourism field, according to the Indiana Office of Tourism Development.

The award is a testament to the WonderLab’s efforts in science, technology, engineering and math education in Bloomington and across the state.

Marketing director Greg Meitus said Jenkins makes people feel welcome to the museum above all else.

“We were really happy to see Jennifer nominated,” Meitus, noting her work as an example of the WonderLab’s pride in its customer service, said.

Meitus said Jenkins is incredibly warm and excited to help kids and families visiting the museum while overseeing all visitor services staff.

Having welcomed visitors from 78 out of Indiana’s 80 counties, the WonderLab hopes to broaden its educational outreach.

The museum is currently consulting with the Community Foundation of Bloomington and Monroe County to increase visiting hours or expand floor space, Meitus said.

“WonderLab began with women who were doing science outreach out of the back of their cars,” Meitus said.

He said the museum provides opportunities that kids don’t typically get to have in school.

“What makes WonderLab unique is its approach to education,” Meitus said. He said in the museum, kids are free to hypothesize about the world.

Jenkins was unavailable for comment on her award.