weekend

Uncovering Bloomington: IU Cinema is a must-go campus attraction

IU Cinema

Slightly hidden behind the IU Auditorium, tucked away right off Jordan Avenue, is one of the best places to see a movie in Bloomington.

The IU Cinema offers a variety of films ranging from foreign to documentaries to current releases. If you haven’t made your way there yet, you are seriously missing out. This theater is a gathering for culture and transmits that culture through a big screen.

My first interaction with the IU Cinema was when Meryl Streep came to campus in spring 2014. The IU Cinema ran a marathon of sorts of some of her films. At the low price of $3 a ticket, I was able to see the film that was then her most recent release, “August Osage County.”

But it wasn’t the ticket prices that kept drawing me back — even though many films are free. It was the quaintness of the theater and passion for film radiating through the walls that captivated me.

Everyone there is completely passionate about film. It’s an art form to the employees. From the dialogue to the cinematography, the films are chosen with a delicate diligence and with a purpose.

The IU Cinema has special series throughout the year. One of my favorites is the Italian film symposium that involves bringing an Italian filmmaker or actor to Bloomington who discusses the films up for show.

But if foreign films or documentaries aren’t your cup of tea, the IU Cinema also has more casual events.

For example, on Groundhog Day, the film “Groundhog Day” was shown all day long. Our Weekend Editor for last semester even sat through almost every showing of it.

The IU Cinema truly is inviting to all students and members of the community. No matter your tastes, the cinema has something on the schedule you’ll love.

You can head to the IU Cinema’s website for a detailed schedule of events. Keep in mind that some of the film showings have a low cost to them, but many of them are free. You’ll also want to note if that film is free, but ticketed. In that case, just stop by the IU Auditorium box office and you’ll be able to snag your tickets.

IU has so much to offer that sometimes things can slip through the cracks, and we graduate, missing out on many great places. I often fear the IU Cinema is one 
of them.

Don’t leave it unmarked on your IU bucket list.