weekend

Gene Wilder's Wonka is unreplicable

Movies Stills Database

“The suspense is terrible ... I hope it’ll last.”

I’ve never met Gene Wilder. I’m guessing most of us haven’t. Yet somehow we all have.

We’ve met him many times: He’s Dr. Frankenstein in “Young Frankenstein,” Jim in “Blazing Saddles,” Leo Bloom in “The Producers.”

But for me he will always be Willy Wonka.

“Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” came out in 1971, but it has subsisted and penetrated our culture in a permanent way. The film, based on Roald Dahl’s book, is able to replicate the nostalgia, fear and euphoria almost solely due to Wilder. There’s no one else with the comedic timing and gravitas that could have pulled off such a role. Wonka is a bit scary — as evidenced by the psychedelic boat ride. But he’s also witty, bitter and outlandish. Seemingly a god and eventually identified as just another human being trying to do his best, Wilder’s Wonka is unreplicable.

When I was in seventh grade, I auditioned for the school play of “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” I watched the film constantly, and I was never bored. Wilder was fascinating on every rewatch, no matter the number.

I ended up making the school production as Lead Oompa Loompa No. 3, which meant I had my own song instead of just dancing along in chorus — a pretty big deal at the time. The play ended up being fine — middle school productions are never going to be nominated for Tonys.

I continued to watch “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” when my homework was done after practices and my socks were put away. But thinking back now, I don’t think I’ve watched the film since middle school. I have to remedy that immediately.

I’m going to watch it and be engrossed by Wilder once again. Odds are that I’ll laugh at his limp into a flip outside of the factory, gasp while hiding my eyes during the boat ride and cheer when he chooses Charlie to take over his position. I’ll definitely smile again as the elevator bursts through the roof and soars through 
the sky.

Together, we learned that the snozzberries taste like snozzberries and that anything is possible.

Thank you, Gene Wilder.