IU graduate returns from Japanese artist residency

Several weeks ago Rebecca Thomas, a recent IU graduate, returned from Japan where she participated in her first artist residency.

The residency was run by Paradise Air, located in Matsudo, Japan. The program offers lodging and studio space to accepted applicants.

Thomas explained the residency is intended to help a broad range of artists, not just those with a traditional studio practice. For example, Paradise Air also accepted Thomas’ boyfriend, Yuto Kanii, a musician, as well as two Australian architects.

“Their body of work included researching architecture in the countries they were visiting, as well as proposing their own architectural projects for those cities,” Thomas said of the architects. “They made me realize that you can do whatever you want as long as you keep your horizons broad.”

Thomas’ objective during her two-week stay with Paradise Air was to create a community art exhibit.

In order to fill the space she was given, Thomas brought a few pieces of previous works and several supplies. However, Thomas said she purposefully brought the bare minimum.

“A professor gave me some advice to not bring too many supplies so that I could make connections through finding materials,” she said.

Thomas explained a neighboring fashion studio lent her a sewing machine, and the Paradise Air staff took her shopping in local markets for fabrics.

“I made as much as I could in a little over a week, and with the help of the staff and my boyfriend, the show came together,” she said. “I was also fortunate enough to have the staff handle the advertisement and coordinate with the venue. So with a lot of help, determination and a little luck, it all happened to come together.”

Thomas’ solo show was put on in a children’s center in Matsudo. She said the playful environment there helped promote the element of play in her exhibition.

“I had interactive pieces in my IU thesis show, and while people did seem interested, they didn’t immerse themselves as much as I had hoped,” she said. “Because the show was more accessible to children this time, I thought the sense of play and exploration was much more successful. It was really inspiring to see those elements of the work brought out by kids.”

Thomas said the community in Matsudo as a whole responded positively to her show.

“Something that really surprised me was how invested the community was in the event,” she said. “People who saw it advertised in the newspaper came to see it and were really supportive of me. Parents seemed a little nervous letting their kids play with the work, but I kept reassuring them it was fine.”

However, Thomas indicated the reaction she received from her younger audience was the most rewarding.

“The kids of course were the best audience, they were blown away,” she said. “They didn’t hesitate to literally jump in.”

While Thomas worked hard on solo exhibition, she said it was the help she received from the Paradise Air staff that brought the show together.

“They were very helpful and supportive, and even helped me brainstorm ideas,” she said. “Overall I felt so welcomed and celebrated. Matsudo has a really wonderful community.”