Troy Williams officially declares for NBA draft

Junior forward Troy Williams talks to the media during the NCAA Tournament press time before the Kentucky game Friday at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa.

For the first time in three years, Troy Williams won’t be wearing an IU uniform.

The junior forward officially declared for the draft Wednesday, the last day to do so, meaning IU will have another hole to fill next season, according to multiple reports.

It is also widely reported Williams is being represented by ASM Sports.

Williams had initially declared for the draft April 11 but didn’t hire an agent, meaning he could theoretically return to Bloomington if he wanted.

But despite still being a couple of classes and an internship away from graduating, Williams left IU after participating in the NBA Draft Combine and working out for the Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Lakers and New Orleans Pelicans.

Williams averaged 13.3 points a game during his junior season, while also grabbing 5.8 rebounds and recording 2.0 assists.

The 6-foot-7 forward was criticized by analysts at the NBA combine for wild and inconsistent play. Sam Vecine of CBSSports.com said he would find it unlikely an NBA team would invest a draft pick in Williams.

Chad Ford named him to his all-go-back-to-school team.

But Williams always hinted his time in Bloomington was over, even in the midst of this criticism. At the combine in early May, Williams said it wouldn’t hurt his pride if he had to play in the D-League at the start of his professional career.

His departure prevents the Hoosiers from an awkward situation, since his return would have meant one too many scholarship players on the roster, since rising junior guard James Blackmon Jr. announced his return to Bloomington earlier Wednesday.

The Hoosiers have already brought in a similar player to Williams, with junior college forward Freddie McSwain Jr. transferring to IU on April 24.

McSwain is one of a handful of players who could fill Williams’ spot in the starting lineup, along with rising sophomore forward OG Anunoby.

Another possibility is for Collin Hartman to play on the wing, where Williams used to play, and incoming freshman De’Ron Davis or rising sophomore Juwan Morgan to slide into Hartman’s old spot.