Five cousins in four different classes attend IU

More than 30 members of the Bessette's extended families have attended IU in the last 50 years. Nine girls from the families plan to attend when they are grown up.

Sarah, Abby, Claire and Olivia meet every Tuesday and Thursday for coffee between classes. In the Indiana Memorial Union Starbucks, they talk about classes, homework, stress and their family.

They catch up with Susan on the weekends or at tailgates.

For the five sisters and cousins who are all students at IU, seeing each other twice a week in college is normal.

In a family with more than 30 relatives to have attended IU in the last 50 years, freshman Olivia Elston said following her sister and three cousins to IU was something she always wanted to do.

“It definitely made it more comfortable coming here,” Olivia said. “I’ve always been into IU school spirit and everything, so once I actually became a Hoosier, it was the best feeling in the world to be apart of something the rest of my family already had.”

The girls all grew up within 45 minutes of one another in the northwest Indiana region and Chicago suburbs. Olivia and Abby Elston’s mother, as well as Claire Bessette’s mother both went to IU. Even Sarah and Susan Anderson’s mother who went to Purdue University Calumet wears her IU t-shirt proudly, Olivia said.

Growing up they had sleepovers and spent most holidays together. Claire said being at IU has only brought them closer.

“Just because we’ve grown up together, we’ve always been so close,” Claire said. “It’s even nicer now that we’re literally going to the same school for the first time.”

Despite the long line of IU family history, Olivia was the only one of the five girls who made IU her top choice for college throughout high school. With interests in everything from business to biology, the girls considered other schools like New York University and UCLA when making their college 
decision.

“I wanted to go out of state really bad actually,” Abby said. “But I think I kind of knew all along I would end up going to IU.”

After considering scholarships and academic programs, all five girls wound up choosing IU for their own reasons.

“I feel like it was more of a coincidental thing that we all ended up here, but I’m happy about it,” Susan said.

While at IU, Claire, a junior, said the girls have come to realize what a blessing having close family can be.

When lost on campus her first few weeks, Susan would call Sarah for directions. And when Susan got the flu, Sarah was there to take her to the doctor. When coming home for the weekend or holidays, the girls always have a ride 
back home.

“It’s actually easier to meet up now than it is at home,” Susan said. “We’re no more than 15 minutes away from each other here.”

Despite all the time spent together, Claire said all of the girls have different interests.

Two are in sororities. Some have taken up different activities like volunteering at the Middle Way House or working with IU Dance Marathon. Most are studying in different 
programs.

“That’s probably why we don’t drive each other nuts and why we want to see each other, because we’re never forced to see each other,” Claire said. “It’s why we seek each other out and try to hang out as much as possible.”

The girls said their other friends poke fun at the big family. Some have suggested they make their own sorority. But the girls agreed they are just like any other group of close friends.

“We just talk about life,” Abby said. “Anything you would talk about with your friends.”

“Yeah,” Claire added. “We just have 20 years of inside jokes.”

As Sarah plans to graduate at the end of the semester, Abby, Claire, Susan and Olivia are preparing to welcome another cousin, Samantha Anderson, to campus next year as an incoming freshman.

“These four years fly by so much faster than high school,” Sarah said, giving advice for her younger sisters and cousins. “Just take everything in and try everything in our undergraduate experience.”