opinion letters

Letter: Trump's violent bullying

In light of the recent terrorist attacks in Brussels and Pakistan, I can’t help but notice all the chaos, and more importantly hatred, that seems to be running rampant through the veins of our troubled society.

A world full of differing opinions concerning religion, politics, social issues and life in general, we can’t seem to come to a consensus on a single issue. Instead of embracing these alternative beliefs, however, we seem to want to condemn anyone who feels differently than we do.

I was having a conversation about the presidential election a few days ago with a close friend.

An avid Trump supporter, he was laughing with approval at some of the recent comments the controversial candidate had made at an Iowa rally. Trump, speaking to his supporters about some protesters that had showed up at the rally, ordered, “Just knock crap out of them, would you?”

With all the violence going on in the world, do we really want a leader who supports and even promotes such 
violence?

The President of the United States is supposed to be someone to look up to and to serve as an example for our children, not someone who advocates physically hurting anyone who has a different opinion than him.

A vote for Donald Trump is a vote for a society characterized by violence, bullying and hatred.

If those values appeal to you, then by all means, cast your ballot however you please.

On the other hand, if you value community, acceptance, and non-violent tactics, voting for Trump would be a huge mistake.