Seniors prepare for commencement at GradFair.

Jim Eichenlaub, graduation photographer, talks to Audre Courter about graduation pictures at the GradFair in the IMU Frangipani room Thursday afternoon.

When senior Sadie Dillon walked into this year’s Spring GradFair, she was greeted with a reminder — only 80 days until May commencement.

Featuring information on commencement and the world beyond graduation, the 2016 Spring GradFair allowed seniors to take their next steps toward graduation.

Seniors, dressed in black caps and gowns, lined the wall in the Indiana Memorial Union’s Frangipani Room on Wednesday as they waited to have their photos taken.

“This makes it real,” Dillion said.

The Spring GradFair began Wednesday and continued through Thursday.

With representatives present from Herff Jones, the IU Alumni Association, University Events and Commencement Services and more, students were able to order caps and gowns, purchase class rings and have any questions about Spring Commencement answered.

Director of Commencement Karl Zacker has worked IU’s GradFair events for 17 years. With more than 400 in attendance by Wednesday afternoon, Zacker said this year’s has been one of the most highly attended fairs.

“The ability to reach out to the parents and to the students through email has been really helpful to us,” Zacker said. “Students are just more and more interested in what commencement is going to be.”

Students do not have to attend the fair to order their cap and gown or other commencement-based products, but Zacker encouraged students to attend in person, especially to try on different gown sizes.

“The main reason we want students to come by to order their cap and gowns is, if they have questions, we have staff here to help them answer all of those questions,” Zacker said.

Early cap and gown rental for about $50 is due March 10. Rental after this period will be accepted through March 29 for an additional $75.

Zacker said he is frequently asked about tickets, which are not needed for commencement.

“There’s no need for tickets, certainly now that we’re in one stadium,” Zacker said. “We fill it, but there’s no need for tickets.”

At the GradFair many students come to the realization that graduation is coming up soon, Zacker said.

“It’s getting more serious,” Dillon said. “You realize you’re not going to be an undergrad forever. It’s coming to an end.”

Along with services offered to prepare for commencement, Joan Hall, director of membership at the IU Alumni Association, advised students on how to build connections with alumni after graduation and how to become involved with the alumni board.

“This is a fun event,” Hall said. “We are basically here to congratulate the graduates on their degree and wish them well, and let them know that the Alumni Association is here for them when they graduate.”

Students receive a free one-year membership to the Alumni Association upon registration for their cap and gown. Hall said the Alumni Association can help students even further down the road as they consider new jobs or move away from Indiana.

“Just don’t forget your alumni connections,” Hall said she advised students. “We have 640,000 alumni all over the world.”

She said students can find more information about local alumni chapters on the Alumni Association’s website.

“This kind of reminds me of why I do what I do, seeing the students and how excited they are,” Hall said.

The joy shown on students’ faces as they enter the fair is what Zacker said keeps employees returning to work the event every year.

“Indiana’s a great place,” Zacker said. “A great foundation is being built here for their future.”