sports tennis

Hoosiers drop both matches in Oregon

IU was not able to garner any wins on its weekend trip to the West Coast as it lost to both Oregon and Boise State in Oregon.

The Hoosiers fell 7-0 to Oregon on Friday and 4-3 to Boise State on Saturday, resulting in a 4-5 record for the season.

“This weekend is a wake-up call for us,” senior Daniel Bednarczyk said. “We are trying to be Big Ten champions, and it’s a reality check for us because we need to be able to win these games.”

Oregon’s pair of senior Daan Masland and sophomore Simon Stevens beat IU’s doubles team of freshman Afonso Salgado and sophomore Raheel Manji 6-4 at No. 2 doubles. Oregon’s sophomore Cormac Clissold and freshman Thomas Laurent defeated IU’s senior tandem of Elliot Yee and Chris Essick 6-4 at No. 3 doubles to give the Ducks a doubles point.

IU seniors Bednarczyk and Samuel Monette and sophomore Raheel Manji were able to gain some momentum for the Hoosiers when they won the first set in their respective matches. However, Oregon rebounded and won all six singles matches.

“Oregon is one of the best teams in country, especially in their home court,” IU Coach Jeremy Wurtzman said. “They seem to take it up a notch at their own ground.”

Home advantage did not apply for Saturday’s match — Boise State was playing on the road as well.

“It was much easier for Boise State because it was a neutral match because were both playing away,” Bednarczyk said. “We had a talk after the loss to Oregon, and some players bounced back against Boise State.”

The Hoosiers earned the doubles points when Manji and Salgado beat Boise State freshman Brian Foley and senior Pedro Platzeck 6-4 at No. 3 doubles. IU’s pair of senior Chris Essick and junior Stefan Lugonjic beat junior Abe Hewko and sophomore Lewis Roskilly 6-4 at second doubles.

IU’s scored its other two points when Monette defeated Foley in straight sets at first singles and when Cembellin beat Roskilly 7-5, 6-4 at No. 6 singles.

“It was a tough weekend definitely,” Bednarczyk said. “But every weekend can be successful if you learn from it.”

Bednarczyk said the Hoosiers felt they learned how important it is to stick together and work as a team this weekend because they did not have their fans to back them up.

“We need to find a way to all show up together on the same day,” Monette said. “Playing away is extremely difficult. At home you have the fans behind you. For example, Oregon this weekend is very hostile and there’s the time difference and traveling and the only one you have with you is the team.”

IU will travel to Kentucky, Cornell and Princeton for three away games before returning to Bloomington to face Purdue on March 8 for the first game of the Big Ten season.

Monette said the team has to find a way to come together and perform well away for the next three matches.

“It’s great this early in the season to face the opponents we are facing now, especially away,” Wurtzman said. “It will benefit us when we start the Big Ten season.”