EDITORIAL: Sanders's real victory

I predicted Sen. Bernie Sanders would ultimately win the race of the Iowa caucus and he did come very close.

The Iowa Democratic Party reported former Secretary of State Hilary Clinton narrowly beat Sanders by just two-tenths of a percentage point. But I argue the results were too close to declare an overall winner, and Sanders’ strong performance counts as a victory on its own.

I watched Clinton announce her campaign in a cheery, optimistic video in April.

I also watched Bernie Sanders declare his candidacy for president more than a month later in front of the Waterfront Park in Burlington, Vermont.

Sanders received little attention from the media and high-ranking Democratic officials at the time of his announcement.

The Media Matters blog reported Sanders received one minute of coverage from ABC World News Tonight the entire year.

The Democratic National Committee scheduled just six debates between the candidates, according to CNN Politics. It left fewer opportunities for Sanders to create recognition than what Clinton already 
possessed.

And yet, something strange happened.

As the political machine turned its gears, Sanders gained ground, rapidly, on Clinton.

According to the Washington Post, even just a few months ago in November, Sanders was about 30 points behind Clinton.

In January, however, the story began to change. He built a 14 point lead in 
New Hampshire and became a viable threat to Clinton in Iowa, the Atlantic reported.

Clinton hasn’t looked like much of a front-runner in the days leading up to the Iowa caucus. Most polls showed she and Sanders were neck and neck.

I predicted Sanders would win because the electorate in Iowa is overwhelmingly white.

I’ve written about Sanders’ struggles to connect with black voters before, but this didn’t appear to be much of an issue in a state primarily of white voters.

I also thought he would win because, if he was able to actively motivate young voters and first-time caucus-goers, he could threaten Clinton.

Sanders seems to have tapped into the most illusive voting demographic. According to Politico, Sanders captured 84 percent of Democratic voters under the age of 30. Among first-time caucus-goers he beat Clinton 59 to 37 percent.

Sanders’ clear, consistent rhetoric from the campaign trail would leave a lasting impression on voters. His campaign stump speech can be summed up in four words: the system is rigged.

When voters are frustrated with Washington and establishment politics, the message connected with Iowa caucus-goers.

The Clinton campaign is in for a wake-up call following Monday’s results. The Democratic race may continue for months. It could’ve ended after just one caucus.