COLUMN: Debates are a dime a dozen

So far there have been 15 debates for the 2016 election. Of those 15, 9 were Republican and 6 were Democratic.

In 2012, there were 27 debates alone for the Republican Party Presidential nominee. The numbers may not seem like much but at this point I feel like each debate presents almost entirely the same arguments.

Instead of helping undecided voters learn more about candidates, these debates serve only to worsen factions in the two parties.

Going over the transcript of the Republican debate last Saturday, the newest topic for the candidates was how to react to the death of Justice Antonin Scalia. Almost all of them unanimously agreed that President Obama should not appoint someone new as he is leaving office.

While the topic was new for the debates, the majority was a rehash of what has already been said. Dr. Ben Carson was asked if he could handle international affairs and Gov. Jeb Bush argued with Donald Trump about who had a better solution over Syria.

Bush became irate, and Trump continued to interrupt him. Sen. Marco Rubio and Sen. Ted Cruz battled over who said what about immigration reform.

All of these points are important. However, the majority of them have already been said multiple times.

Even more humiliating is the vile at which each of these candidates treat their competitors. All of these men have said they are supporters of Former President Ronald Regan, however none of them follow his 11th commandment, “thou shalt speak no ill of another Republican.”

This name-calling causes factions to arise in the party. By insulting Cruz’s Spanish speaking ability, Rubio did not show a bond with the Latino community but shamed shamed non-Spanish speakers, and diverted the issue.

It also highlights the divisions in the party between radicals and the party base and presents a divided front as the general election approaches.

The Democratic party is not free from these useless debates either. In the last debate, instead of discussing relevant topics, the two candidates argued who the true progressive was.

These are not questions that should be asked on debate night.

Sen. Bernie Sanders’ supporters know he is more liberal than former Secretary of State Hilary Clinton, and anyone hearing his arguments could echo that statement. More, conversations like these do not highlight anything new about the two candidates.

Instead of enlightening newcomers, the debate just provided petty stories.

I don’t think debates should be stopped; they are useful and when conducted correctly provide a good source of information on the students.

I do think the number of them should be reduced. The primary season just started last month, and already, many of these arguments and statements seem like repeats of something said earlier.

At this point, I know Trump will insult former President George Bush Jr. in the debates. I know Clinton’s emails will be brought up at least once. I know Rubio and Cruz will go head-to-head on immigration.

I would like to have a conversation about why these candidates believe their positions are better.

A conversation, without interruptions, bells or yelling. If we can get one of those during the debate cycle, then I will give these debates, and these candidates the attention they want.