Bonnie “Prince” Billy to perform at Buskirk-Chumley Theater

Arts filler image

Will Oldham’s last Bloomington performance was in 2008.

Dan Coleman, founder of Spirit of ’68 Promotions, said Oldham does not frequently perform regionally, despite being from Louisville, Kentucky.

Oldham, who writes music under the name Bonnie “Prince” Billy, will perform Wednesday in the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, with Maiden Rodeo opening the show.

Oldham has been performing as a singer-songwriter of various genres for over 25 years.

According to Spirit of ’68, Oldham possesses an individualistic mentality to songwriting and a do-it-yourself mantra to the music 
industry.

Coleman said he booked Oldham at the Buskirk-Chumley because it offers a fitting atmosphere for the performance.

The venue offers a more appropriate atmosphere than what the Bishop or the Bluebird Nightclub offers, Coleman said.

“Because it’s a quieter thing, you need the more subdued feeling of the Buskirk, as opposed to the more raucous club-feel of the Bluebird. It’s a perfect fit of venue-artist.”

Beyond his musical career, Oldham has been credited as an actor.

He has been in several independent films, including 2010’s “Jackass 3D,” 2006’s “Old Joy” and a role in Chapter 15 of R. Kelly’s “Trapped in the Closet.”

Although he said Spirit of ’68 Promotions caters to the college crowd that is interested in music, Coleman said a performer like Oldham will draw a crowd, regardless of who he caters to.

Oldham is coming to Bloomington because he has a regional fanbase, Coleman said.

“People who have been following Will Oldham always come out to his shows,” he said. “People are going to come from Ohio and 
Indianapolis.

Caroline Marchildon said she will be attending the event.

She works with Bloomington’s Secretly Group, a group of independent labels.

Oldham has a big, established following, she said in an email interview.

His popularity merits him to perform at the 600-maximum population venue, Marchildon said.

The Buskirk-Chumley is well-suited for acoustic, intimate performances, Marchildon said.

“Playing in a room like that sort of elevates the night right off the bat,” 
she said.

Oldham is performing only three shows in February, with stops in Bloomington, Chicago and Champaign, Illinois.

“A Will Oldham show is, in any capacity, such a rare occurrence that it always brings out a good crowd,” he said.

After missing a performance of his a few years ago, Marchildon said she has been waiting to make up for her absence.

In January, Oldham released “Pond Scum,” a collection of old BBC sessions that were previously 
unreleased.

Because of this recent release, Marchildon said she expects Oldham to perform songs off of “Pond Scum.”

He might have a full band, Marchildon said, but Oldham will probably perform some solo, acoustic songs.

“Since the album he just put out is a collection of recordings from old sessions, his set might pull from a wider range of his records than if he were supporting a completely new album,” Marchildon said.