Swim and Dive athletes receive weekly awards

Freshman Lilly King practices breastroke Monday afternoon at the Counsilman-Bilingsley Aquatic Center.

One swimmer and one diver from the IU men’s team were awarded with Big Ten recognition Wednesday.

Sophomore Blake Pieroni received Co-Swimmer of the Week honors after a first-place 1:36.54 finish in the 200 freestyle last weekend against Purdue.

Pieroni currently has the 10th best time in Division I for the 200 free with his 1:34.23 finish at the AT&T Winter Nationals. Pieroni’s two previous Swimmer of the Week nominations were Oct. 21, 2015, and Nov. 4, 2015.

Junior diver Joshua Arndt was also named for his first career title of Big Ten Diver of the Week.

Arndt’s performance against Purdue last weekend included a first place finish and career-best 371.7 points on the one-meter springboard. On platform, Arndt took second with a score of 305.85. Both scores are NCAA Zone qualifying diving marks.

For the women’s squad, freshman swimmer Lilly King was awarded with Co-Freshman of the Week honors after continuing her dominance in the breaststroke events.

Against the Boilermakers, King swept the 100 and 200 with times of 1:00.03 and 2:12.60. This is the second Freshman of the Week honor for King, with her first nomination back in Nov. 11, 2015.

King currently holds the top time in Division I in both the 100 and 200 with 57.79 and 2:06.84 from her performance at Winter Nationals.

King was named the TeamUnify/College Swimming.com Division I Swimmer of the Week on Tuesday as well.

Hailey Hernandez