opinion editorial

EDITORIAL: Stay safe while you're abroad

In a time where casual sex is just a right-swipe away, it can be easy to let your guard down.

While there’s nothing wrong with living life as you choose, safety is a big issue with casual hookups.

In a recent advice column in the Guardian, a young woman asks “Eva” whether or not it is safe to seek out a companion for a one-night stand while out of town.

A study from the University of Illinois recently found that women are more likely to have casual sex while traveling or on vacation, regardless of the risk.

But this doesn’t mean casual sex is becoming safer.

If there are any language barriers, it might be difficult to communicate, including receiving and giving proper consent.

Also, cultural norms may differ. Going home with someone might lead to the expectation of sleeping with them.

Police in certain countries may not care about sexual 
assault. Even if you’re traveling domestically, you can still face some risks.

If you’re in an unfamiliar location, it’s more difficult to make a quick escape if 
needed.

And if you need any support from friends or family, they may not know where to find you.

Casual sex is widely accepted in a college town like Bloomington, but depending on where you travel, this might not be the case.

Let a friend or family member know where you are at all times.

It’s easy to turn on your location on an iPhone or let someone know you’ll send a text at an expected time if 
everything is alright.

As with any other online meet-up, you should always meet in a public place before heading back to anyone’s home.

Make sure to keep your phone fully charged, your bank account with enough money to get home, a condom in your purse and a friend on speed dial.

Finally, know that you are in charge of your body and can set your own boundaries.

Whether you’re in Bloomington or Bulgaria, casual sex can be risky for a number of reasons.

Take the right precautions, and you can feel free to enjoy all the casual hookups you like.