IU recieved award for its 21st Century Scholars program

In recognition of its commitment to 21st Century Scholars, the Indiana Commission for Higher Education awarded IU’s 21st Century Scholars Program with the Champion Award.

The Champion Award acknowledges K-12 or colleges, local community leaders or community partner organizations that make a significant contributions to the 21st Century Scholars program.

The winner receives recognition by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education and a trophy given by the Indiana Commissioner for Higher Education Teresa Lubbers.

A need for additional financial support for the program, led to the 21st Century Scholars Covenant to supplement the 21st Century Scholarship.

“The supplemental scholarship helps students pay for costs not covered with their 21st Century Scholarship, such as food and textbooks,” Insom said in an email.

“Scholars who stay current in the program and affirm their scholarship meet the eligibility requirements for the Covenant and are automatically considered for the award.”

Many colleges offer special incentives for 21st Century Scholars that range from fee waivers and supplemental scholarships to on-campus support programs.

The program tries to help scholars deal with problems they encounter at IU, Insom said in an email.

“Often times, as first generation college students, they don’t have a frame of reference about college procedures.”

“I am excited about the difference that this program makes in student’s lives,” Insom said in an email.