Musical organization offers young musicians opportunities to perform

Alice Ford wasn’t nervous Wednesday night when the lights dimmed at the Monroe County Public Library auditorium and eyes watched her and the surrounding symphony players from stacked 
seating.

She’s been playing the violin for eight years, so performing is nothing new to her. She takes private lessons, she earned a spot at the pre-college String Academy through Jacobs School of Music and she plays with the Musical Arts Youth Organization, the group she performed with Wednesday for its showcase concert. The symphony was one of the 
concert’s four acts.

“My mom got a job as the executive director and she was like, ‘Hey do you want to try this?’ and I was like ‘Yeah, sure’,” Alice said.

MAYO began as a program of the Southern Indiana Youth Symphony. Executive Director Helen Ford said the youth symphony decided to relaunch its programs in 2013, a 
decision that created MAYO and expanded the musical ensembles to include a rock band, Boys and Girls Club Violin Project and an ensemble with the viola da gamba.

“Having an ensemble with viola da gamba never happens in youth programs,” Music Director Lauren Bernofsky said. “It’s an instrument from the Renaissance period and played only by professionals and college level musicians. Kids playing it is unheard of.”

They come to MAYO for the opportunity to do so, among other reasons.

The organization isn’t free. According to its website, the current semester’s tuition rate is $140 and there are opportunities for financial assistance.

“If you can’t pay, then play for free,” Bernofsky said.

Alice said that was something she admired about the program.

“MAYO is great because it reaches out to all parts of the community,” Alice said. “I’ve gone through programs where they’re really selective.”

Bernofsky said the program tries to be different than what a student might 
encounter in a typical band class. She composes music herself and has brought her own works in for the students to play. She also invited Michael Shelle, a composer from Butler University to work with the students.

“Where I study violin it’s a classical environment,” Alice said. “I like getting the opportunity to play newer music.”

The rock band closed the day’s muscial acts.

The members were dressed in black.

One boy’s neon green electric guitar stood out brightly against his outfit.

From the side, their director made grandiose motions as they played and sang.

They began a song by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. The boy with the guitar threw his head back and forth.

Near the end, the director put his hands in the air and clapped. The band followed suit, as did the audience of parents.

They closed the evening with Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Fortunate Son.” The lyrics they sang echoed the patriotic theme of Veterans Day: “Some folks are born to wave the flag, ooo, their red, white and blue.”