COLUMN: Participating in IU Dance Marathon changed my life

It is no secret that IU has been through a rocky semester, but this weekend served as a reminder of why I am so proud to call myself a Hoosier.

IU Dance Marathon celebrated its 25th year in a big way, by fundraising $3.8 million for the kids at Riley Hospital for Children in 
Indianapolis.

Per usual, the organization had record-breaking fundraising totals and earned $600,000 more than in 2014.

It was my second year participating in the marathon and my first year realizing how truly monumental 
IUDM is.

The Dance Marathon is not just about coming together for a good cause during one weekend of the year, but rather it is a yearlong effort from some of the most passionate student leaders around the country.

While the marathon itself is wonderful, it is the hard work that goes into fundraising year-round that makes IUDM so incredible.

No, not just the annoying Facebook posts asking you to donate.

I’m talking about actually reaching out to friends and family and canning in front of local businesses, even if three hours in the cold only means $15 for the kids.

That $15 means everything in the world when you are able to meet families that have been touched by Riley and hear their stories.

This year the organization I danced with, Independent Council for Women at IU, sponsored a Riley family for the first time, which meant we had the opportunity to spend time with a Riley kid during the marathon.

It was during those moments that I realized IUDM’s full effect. I knew I was lucky to be a part of something so much bigger than myself.

Dancing for only 12 hours, I was astonished at the energy of committee members and 36-hour dancers who would spend 24 more hours on their feet after I left the marathon.

It was all I could do to stay on my aching feet for a third of the marathon and without the Riley kids and their stories I don’t think I could have made it.

Seeing the kids being so passionate about life and overcoming obstacles they should never have to face at their age was humbling, to say the least.

Dance Marathon is my daily reminder that miracles do happen, and we do have the ability to make a difference in the world.

IUDM is not just a student organization, it is a way of life.