COLUMN: American girls vs. French girls

As an American woman, I’ve always admired — and admittedly envied — the French woman’s style. I studied abroad in Aix-en-Provence for a summer and returned with the ferocious desire to find the exact style of shoes I’d seen French women wearing.

I also became curious about the differences between American and French women. Let’s face it, French women are portrayed as sophisticated, well-read, stylish and even slightly standoffish individuals. Wearing bright red lipstick – and only bright red lipstick – is all she needs to begin her day.

American women, in contrast, are more relaxed and casually dressed. We love sweatpants and tend to be a bit on the boisterous side, even in public. We’re shameless that way.

But make no mistake — we are not lazy. We simply prefer comfort.

However, a whole book has been written about “How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style and Bad Habits” by French femmes Caroline de Maigret, Anne Berest, Sophie Mas and Audrey Diwan. It’s a compilation of essays on all things Parisian woman, including “dealing with men and ignoring fashion to being melancholy” and “the art of nakedness,” according to Vogue.

A short video from Vogue, called “Camille Rowe’s Take On French vs. American Girl Style,” features the French-American model’s views on the differences, including going grocery shopping, selfie-taking, giving directions and romance.

In the video, the American girl, holding her phone in one hand and coffee in the other, walks down the street as she gabs loudly to a friend.

The French girl keeps to herself, her face buried in a book as she effortlessly navigates the busy streets 
of Paris.

The American girl is fearless when it comes to taking selfies in public, while the French girl quickly snaps a pic after checking to see if anyone is watching.

My favorite part is when the American girl stuffs leafy greens into her shopping bag as she tells her friend about the juice cleanse she and her boyfriend are doing, while the French girl stocks up on wine and chocolate goodies only. I agree American women tend to take the more casual approach when it comes to attire, the way in which we carry ourselves and even in relationships.

We are probably a bit more comfortable in our selfishness and worry less about how we act in public. However, the effortlessness of a French woman’s style eludes me. Yes, I try very hard and I openly admit this.

What is it about the French woman’s demeanor that is so naturally elegant?

De Maigret told Vogue, “Looking for perfection, as Americans do, is a lack of self-confidence,” yet she also claims French women “don’t want people to think we have spent an hour doing our hair when we should be reading.”

French women seem contradictory in that way. While I admire the French woman’s apparent apathy toward the opinions of others, putting effort into self-presentation isn’t such a bad thing, nor does it equate with a lack of self-confidence.

While I often attempt to embody the French girl mystique at times, I still whole-heartedly embrace my not-so-subtle American habits, too.