Big Brothers Big Sisters needs more mentors

Big Brothers Big Sisters provides guidance and support for youth through 
one-on-one relationships.

The mentors bond with children through various activities around the city of Bloomington like hiking or canoeing. But some 
children are left out.

In the office of the South Central Indiana branch of Big Brothers Big Sisters is a bulletin board with a conspicuous title in yellow and blue bubble letters that reads, “Little Steps Big Achievement.” Fixed on this bulletin board are nine placards with the names of mentees, affectionately called “Littles,” that have benefited from having a mentor through the BBBS program.

Under eight names is the college the student attends; the final student enlisted in the United States Army.

“These students are proof of the effectiveness of this mentoring program,” said Mark Voland, executive director of BBBS South Central Indiana. “By creating that friendship and bond these kids were able to make better choices.”

BBBS is a national volunteer mentoring program that matches adult volunteers (“Bigs”) with children (“Littles”), ages 6 through 15. There are currently 130 active pairs of “Bigs” and “Littles” in BBBS South Central Indiana’s community mentoring program. Despite the high number of children matched with a mentor, there are still 74 kids in South Central Indiana waiting to be partnered with a “Big.”

BBBS prioritizes children living in single-parent homes, coping with parental incarceration or living in lower socio-economic households, said Elizabeth Beauregard, BBBS South Central Indiana’s on-site 
coordinator.

“It’s disheartening that so many children aren’t able to receive a mentor,” she said.

More than 80 percent of the kids on the waiting lists are boys, Voland said, adding that some boys remain on the waiting list for up to two years.

BBBS of South Central Indiana is working diligently to try and recruit more volunteers, Voland said. With over 60 percent of the mentors being IU students, the South Central branch works closely with the BBBS affiliate at Indiana University, he said.

“Our group works primarily with promoting and spreading the word about BBBS and fundraising for the organization,” Charlotte Marks, President of the BBBS at Indiana University said.

As a current Big, Marks said she personally understands the importance of ensuring that children seeking mentors are provided a Big.

“This program helps children in the community improve their social lives, their family relationships and their overall grades,” she said.

There is numerical data and empirical evidence that are a testament to the success of the BBBS program.

In 2014, 92 percent of the Littles in South Central Indiana maintained or improved with their original 
educational goals.

Seventy-nine percent maintained or improved their grades, and 71 percent maintained or improved in social acceptance, according to a BBBS 2014 outcome survey taken by all of the Littles.

Ali Oppel, a Big who has been mentoring a freshman in high school for over a year, said she has observed the positive influence she has had on her Little’s life.

“I’ve seen her confidence grow throughout the last year,” she said. “I think by just having me in school she’s able to see there’s a goal to strive for beyond high school. She has started exploring careers and college possibilities which is really cool.”

Oppel said not only does she appreciates her Little’s academic focus but she cherishes the social interaction she and her little share.

“We like going to IU sporting events, canoeing, hiking and riding bikes on the B-line trail,” she said. “We have fun together. It’s like a real big sister to a little sister rather than a 
mentorship.”

There are over 3,000 youth in Monroe County that could use the services of BBBS, Voland said.

“This is how many kids face some challenges and could use some extra help from an adult,” he said. Voland added he encourages responsible adults to enroll in the BBBS program.

“Our volunteers are stable, consistent and reliable for the child,” he said. “Our Bigs are not heroes, they’re anchors. Let’s make a 
difference.”