Joseph Smedley found dead in Griffy Lake, family releases two different statements

The body of IU sophomore Joseph Smedley was found in Griffy Lake on Friday, Oct. 2.

The cause of death is consistent with drowning, 
according to a 
statement released by Monroe County coroner Nicole Meyer.

Smedley, of 
Indianapolis, was a biochemistry major and Sigma Pi brother.

At 6:32 p.m. Friday, Oct. 2, the Bloomington Police Department responded to the report of a body found in Griffy Lake, located off Headley Road on Bloomington’s north side, according to a release from Capt. Joe Qualters of the BPD.

Smedley was reported missing Monday, Sept. 28.

Smedley’s roommates last saw him at 11:30 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 27, according to a release from Lt. Craig Munroe of the IU Police 
Department.

His sister received a text from him at 4 a.m. Monday, Sept. 28.

The text stated he was leaving the country.

The family has two different representatives: one representing the sister, and one representing the parents of Smedley. 

Kristopher A. Fuller, the attorney representing the Smedley's sister, released a statement on behalf of the family regarding Smedley‘s death.

“We are heartbroken by this morning’s developments and still processing the events of the last six days,” the statement read. “Joseph was an intelligent and loving son, brother and friend. While we mourn his loss, we ask that you respect our privacy and direct any questions to our family spokesperson and attorney Kristopher A. Fuller. If you have any information that may help in the investigation of Joseph’s death, please contact the Bloomington Police Department at 812-339-4477 as this investigation is ongoing.”

LaMar Holliday, representing Smedley's parents, released a similar statement also on behalf of the family. 

"We would like to thank the media and public for their continuing coverage of helping us find our beloved Joseph," the statement read. "It's been a difficult week for our family after hearing the recent developments. We ask that you let our family grieve in private so we can begin the healing process. Your thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated."

Smedley’s family has set up a memorial fund and GoFundMe account to help with the costs associated with his funeral services, according to the statement. Those interested can donate at www.gofundme.com/9g5jkxms.

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office and BPD are continuing the 
investigation.